Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #1

Film scanning question

Hi Guys

I am thinking of taking up making photos with film cameras, mainly due to how cheap they have become (the cameras, not film) and also I know there exists scanners specially designed to scan negative film and digitise it.
My question: When I finish my 24 frames of film, can I take out the roll and scan it straightaway OR will I have to take it to a camera shop where they will process the roll and give me negatives in return so that I can than scan those negatives and digitise my shots?

My thought process was directed towards not being able to have a digital FF camera from Pentax, so using a film camera can help me make use of my manual wide-angled lenses to get the extra width that APSC takes away. I know I can walk backwards with an APSC, but I am lazy

11-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, film must first be developed.
11-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The most efficient way is to get the film developed and scanned onto a CD by the shop. Later you can make any prints you want. From the CD you can load into the computer.
11-18-2012, 02:19 AM   #4

You need to get the film developed first . In case you are using B&W film .. you can develop the same conveniently at home only . You can then scan the same on a flat bed film scanner . Good to see that many ppl want to take up film again !!!

11-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If you have somewhere that will develop it and scan it to a high-resolution TIFF file for a reasonable price, then you might want to use that service. I bought a scanner (Epson V500) because nowhere in my city will provide anything other than a mediocre jpeg at a reasonable price. Scanning film is a pain and takes some getting used to, but having a TIFF file you can edit later is great.
11-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys. That is meaning that besides buying the film roll I will have to spend on developing costs after every 24 /32 shots. Expensive!!
11-18-2012, 03:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I take my film to my local Walgreens / Costco / CVS etc. but I request Negative only without cutting. If they look at me as if I'm from outer space my getaway phrase is "It's for a photography course" Never fails.
The film gets developed but no prints, no CD and they DON'T cut the negatives. That's about $4 per roll.
Then I take it home and carefully cut, scan, archive and process.

Thanks,

11-18-2012, 03:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
"It's for a photography course"
Good idea
11-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Just an aside. I too have just the film developed. And do the same as ismaelg, though in my area it only cost me less than $3 to get this done. I don't believe the price was any different from size of the roll. I have an Epson flat bed film scanner, also.
11-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Since this is a beginner's section ... DON'T think you can get away cheap and make good digital copies with most of those less than US$100 film/slide scanners that flood the shelves this time of year. They may be fine for sending your sight impaired grandmother a copy of a blurry point & shoot snapshot of the kids playing in the backyard, but that's about it. Typically the lighting is uneven, and the exposure somewhat inconsistent. Most also only create mediocre resolution jpeg images.

I know. My well-meaning spouse bought me one as a gift. To make her happy I installed the software and did ONE slide copy rather than return it. Now it is 'used' and not returnable. It has sat on my shelf since. I'll take the first $20 offer to get rid of it - (it was the 'better' unit and cost my wife about a $100).
11-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jim
What would you recommend as far as scanners go. I am thinking of getting one ,as I hate the low scans I get from Walgreens (they are better than I got from Sams). Price is an object at this time
11-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Jim
What would you recommend as far as scanners go. I am thinking of getting one ,as I hate the low scans I get from Walgreens (they are better than I got from Sams). Price is an object at this time
Digital Scanner Reviews

The discontinued models are still supported by VueScan. You can get a Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual for less than $200 on evilBay.

On the other hand you can get a decent flatbed for around $150.
11-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks.. I have been looking at flatbed scanners
11-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Thanks.. I have been looking at flatbed scanners
I have an old CanoScan 8400F. I have always considered the scans it produces adequate for prints up to 8x10. The newer scanners are better.
11-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
A good place to take this discussion would be the sub-forum "Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom".

While I eventually invested in an Epson V500 Photo scanner, I would still like to perfect slide duplication via my K-r with a bellows & slide copier unit ... at least for my best work. That way I get RAW images.