Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
secure testing new lenses / adapters

hi people

i was wondering, what is the easiest and cheapest solution for quick test of functionality for new adapters / lenses?

i saw post with usage of extension tube as testing enviroment. Sothey firstly attached lens/adapter on tube and when everything worked well, lens/adapter was then mounted onto camera body (with tube of course)

its ok this way? i am right? so macro extension tubes are cheapest and easiest way how to quick check new adapter/lens before mounting it on camera body?

thanks!

11-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I don't see any reason not to test the lens on the camera if it is available. If I remember that post about the extension tubes correctly it was talking about being in a pawn / thrift shop and wanting to test if a particular lens was k-mount. If you do not want to carry the camera into the shop just have a k-mount (or m42) extension tube in your pocket. If it mounts you are certain of the mount but I don't think it will tell much about whether the lens is functional or not. All it will prove is that the mount is correct.

My test of used lenses consists of:
  1. Examine the glass carefully for scratches and fungus. Use a flashlight to look through the glass from all angles, fungus is often hard to see without a careful examination.
  2. Look for evidence of metal grinding either on the mount or anywhere on the lens barrel. Check all the markings for lost paint or wear marks.
  3. Operate all of the rings (aperture, focus, zoom) and watch for any scraping or catching, everything should be smooth, if it feels gritty something maybe bent or might need re-greasing.
  4. Test the movement of the aperture lever while looking through the lens. Move the lever all the way open and let go. The aperture should snap back closed instantly, if not check for oil on the blades, weak or broken springs.
  5. Mount the lens on extension tube or camera to test if the mount fits smoothly. Even if it is the correct mount it might have something bent or broken. Also note that some k-mount lenses will not mount on dslrs because they have an over sized aperture lever shield. They work fine on film cameras but the SDM contact mount interferes on digital.
  6. Test for operation of the aperture by the camera if the lens has an "A" setting. If not turn the aperture ring and test for operation. The results will depend on what kind of lens, m42 the aperture will change. K-mount will not but with the camera in "M" mode you can use the depth of focus preview to see if the camera can operate the aperture lever. Through the lens will get darker at smaller apertures and you should be able to see the aperture blades move from the front of the lens.
  7. Now test the focus ring looking through the camera, it should operate smoothly and the focus should change.
  8. Now test the zoom ring while looking through the camera, again it should operate smoothly and the zoom should change.
  9. Check the filter threads, they should be clean and not bent or crossed. It is not always possible unless you carry a full set of filters but it is always a good thing to see if a filter will thread on smoothly.
  10. Test any built in hoods for operation, make sure they extend and retract correctly.
  11. Take a picture and check the lcd, that is not definitive for image quality but it tells you at least you can get an image.

Really nice portfolio by the way, you have some wonderful work there.
11-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks dear jatrax for kind words on my work

i ordered adapter for use of m42 lenses for my father in law. He has alpha 550 and i would like to be sure that adapter wont get stuck on his camera. For me i ordered genuine pentax so i am ok but i did not find any genuine for sony so i bought one from ebay.

ps: thanks for your notes about testing, appreciate