Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #1

Help! Pics not on Memory Card??

I am an extreme novice and need help finding the pics on my memory card for my Kr. I took pics all afternoon.....the countdown number subtracted like I was taking pics and there is still room on the card. (sorry, some of my terminology may be wrong) I handed the camera to a couple of people to take pics of us and am not sure if they pressed a wrong button or changed something. All pics from previous weeks are on the card. Need help! (in language I can understand!). I've read through the instruction booklet and the troubleshooting guide but don't understand so much of what I'm reading! I would appreciate any advice on where to start. Thanks in advance.

11-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you looking at the pictures using the screen on the back of the camera or have you put the card in a computer to upload and view.
It's doubtful that they could have deleted all your images accidentally. They would most likely have to not have grasp of language and really push a few bottoms in the display menu.
11-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Your latest pics should be in the most recent sub-folder within the DCIM folder. Try opening it on your computer and sorting the pics by date- they should all be there!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

With the card in the camera, turn on the camera, push the image display button and tell us what you see.

11-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would also suggest that you download your photos to your computer for a more safe keeping once you have them found. That also frees up space on your card.
11-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for replying. I'll answer your questions in order! When I was taking the pics yesterday, I would push the playback arrow button and the pic I took would be there.....after taking several pics, only the last pic was there and then it reverted back to pics already on the card.

Yes, I look at the pics on the camera, while I'm taking, and on the computer after I get home. I usually transfer the pics to my computer, just had not done so with the last set. I just can't understand why I could continue to take pics all afternoon and the pics not be there unless there is some setting that's messed up that was deleting them as quick as I took them! I am using the basic Auto Pict setting because I haven't learned what I'm doing yet.

I did look at the card on my computer and the sub folders in the DCIM folder. All my previous days pics are in folders....there is one folder, which I assumed would be from yesterday, and it says the folder is empty.

I put the card in the camera and took 4 new pics this morning.
When I turn the camera on, and push the image display button, I see the last pic I took today with 140-3944
in the top right corner, JPEG 1/40 in the bottom left corner and F5.6 ISO 1600 in the bottom right. There's also a circle within a circle in the bottom right of the screen with a box with a green arrow pointing down in it. I can't find that symbol in the book...have no idea what it means!

I am hoping there's not something wrong with the camera...I can buy a new card, which I will do, before I use the camera again.
11-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The k-r is several years ahead of mine so I can't help a lot on some trouble shooting your having. I am not sure why but looking at your pictures right after you take them on the camera is called chimping. I do it occasionally just to make sure I don't have a problem, like no images ,or any number of other things that can go wrong. I also don't keep images on my cards once I transfer them. I also reformat the cards when I put the card back into the camera. Just to be on the safe side and make sure they are empty.

On my DL the down pointing arrow indicates the flash fired and the box with a circle within a circle is my metering info. It may be the same info for the k-r tho I could not be positive. Some one who knows more about the k-r may be able to answer better if I am wrong about it's symbols

11-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks. I bought a new card yesterday. A friend is going to send me the name of a program to try to retrieve whatever pics are on there. I'm also getting copies of some prints from others who were at the event. Just want to get to the bottom of the problem so it doesn't happen again and I don't lose precious pics!
11-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure about the K-r, but most digital cameras keep the last picture in memory for review, so just because you can see it on the LCD doesn't mean it was saved to the card. Some cameras even allow you to take a photo with no card in the camera, then save it after putting in a card. Perhaps the card "write-protect" switch on the side of the SD card got turned on? This switch is read by a mechanical sensor in the camera, and I've heard of that sensor failing in some cameras so they think every card is write-protected.
11-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How has the new card worked?
11-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #11

Original Poster
The 'write protect' switch was not on. Card was not removed from the camera the whole day. And I believe there's a screen notification if the switch is on 'protect'. I hope the sensor in the camera isn't broken! Sounds expensive to get fixed. Getting a new card tonight. The saga continues...
11-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Was the card not simply full , what size card was it?
11-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #13

Original Poster
Card is 16GB. When we put it in the computer, to see the pics, it said there was still space. Would it say that and it be "full" in the camera?
11-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would suggest buying smaller capacity cards - 2, 4, or 8gb. Fewer shots to lose if something goes awry. Good luck & I hope you're able to recover your missing photos.