Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentacon Six TL Troubleshoot

I am helping someone diagnose issues with a Pentacon six TL and would like some help.
I admit to knowing very little about medium formats but I believe I understand the basic functions of the camera.
The film advance is locked, the delayed action lever is engaged and the shutter will not operate. The shutter release button seems to function; it has the lock feature and it functions. The shutter button fully depresses but does not operate the shutter.
The film advance may be locked because of going beyond the set exposure count. The exposure counter shows a long red line
I can open the film back freely.
Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

11-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I honestly can't help, but maybe there are Youtube videos up showing how to operate the camera or trouble-shooting issues?
11-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Pentacon six TL
Matt here is a link to the Pentacon six manual: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/pentacon/pentacon_sixtl/pentacon_six_tl.pdf maybe that will help. Also, you might get more response from the medium format section. I know cross posting is frowned upon but those folks might know more.
11-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

From around the interwebs: "Underneath the advance lever is a little arm that blocks the advance lever after you have wound on. By inserting a needle or a small paperclip between the lever and the top of the camera you can push it over to allow you to move the avance lever so you can (re-)cock the mechanism, hopefully resetting whatever derailed at the same time." Worth a shot!

11-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The shutter still does not operate and delayed timer lever is still engaged. Shouldn't I be hearing some spring coil unwinding to indicate the timer functions? This may be holding the shutter mechanizm.
The mirror is down, shutter curtain is closed.
11-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The self-timer won't start going (and the mirror will remain down and curtain closed) until the shutter release is pressed, so there may be some disconnect between the two.

The film advance may be locked because of going beyond the set exposure count. The exposure counter shows a long red line
I can open the film back freely.
Yes, the film advance lever will "lock" after 12 exposures. If there is a 220 roll in there, push the little lever on the right of the film advance lever (coming out from under it) to unlock it. The film will then continue to advance, however, if you open the film back, the frame counter is reset, and needs about 3 advance/shutter cycles to get back up to 0. (This is if you have film in the camera - nothing happens to the counter without film being wound on, naturally.)

Other than that, I'm running out of memory here. I only had a P6 TL for a few months and figured out MF film wasn't for me.

Oh yeah, the most common advice (which I'm sure you've read already) is don't let the film advance lever "snap back" (like on 35mm bodies) or you will mess up the frame spacing, and possibly even the camera. Once that happens enough, heaven knows what the TL will do!

Last edited by panoguy; 11-18-2012 at 09:19 PM.
11-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #7

The shutter still does not operate and delayed timer lever is still engaged. Shouldn't I be hearing some spring coil unwinding to indicate the timer functions? This may be holding the shutter mechanizm.
The mirror is down, shutter curtain is closed.
I'm having this exact same problem; did you ever find a solution?
02-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sdsimkins Quote
I'm having this exact same problem; did you ever find a solution?
So do I... It's an old pentacon body in a pretty bad condition, but I figure I'll try to restore it... Did you ever figure out the problem with yours?