Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #1

Small bag for K30

I was looking at the Lowepro Adventura series, particularly the 100, 120 and 140 and also the TLZ 15 and 25. The Toploader Zoom 45 also looks good.
Now my main walkabout gear now is a K30 with the 18-135mm attached. I also don't like carrying an easily identifiable camera bag along so would like something that can slip into my normal messenger bag (Rickshaw Zero Medium). I would've gone for the bag insert options but they are cannot be used independently.
My question is which of these bags is large enough for my kit.
Would it be small enough to pack into a carry-on or a messenger bag?

Thanks for any suggestions.

11-18-2012, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My favourite bag for my K-7 and the DA18-250mm is this one:
Lowepro Toploader TLZ1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

It will work nicely with your K-30 and DA18-135mm. It can fit the K-7/K-30 with a mounted lens, with a quick access. On the outside pocket, I can fit a spare battery, the battery charger with cable, and the USB cable. Inside there is a small pouch to put of micro-bifre cloth and a spare memory card. The bag is well-padded and very handy.

When needed, the bag (with the camera inside) can slip into my backpack, eg when I travel by plane.

Hope that the comment may help...

Last edited by hcc; 11-18-2012 at 06:03 PM.
11-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
@hcc
Thanks for your suggestion. The bag looks good but unfortunately it looks like it was discontinued. I couldn't find it online at any reputable dealer.
11-19-2012, 06:54 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This website has a ton of user bag reviews and many show pictures with equipment.

Reviews - Cambags.com Camera Bag Resource.

tim

11-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
@atupdate
Great site. However the bags I liked are discontinued.

I have shortlisted 2 bags. The first is the Apex 120 AW with external dimensions 6.7W X 5.3D X 7.9H in. and internal 5.8W X 3.9D X 6.7H in.

The second is the Rezo 120 AW with external dimensions 7W X 5.7D X 7.9H in. and internal 6W X 4.1D X 6.5H in.

Any suggestions as to which one would be more suited to the K30 with 18-135mm WR attached?
04-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure how your situation resolved, but I just picked up a Lowepro Adventura 140 tonight for $35 at Target. I plan to use it to carry K30/10-17/40Ltd and it fits all comfortably. I can swap the 18-135 and 10-17 easily. If you can find a little padding to fit between the zooms, you can fit all three lenses into this bag, but it's a tight fit (40Ltd mounted, zooms unmounted). My goal was to get one bag to fit camera/lens plus two Ltd size lenses inside, and I think this will do it.
04-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Not sure how your situation resolved, but I just picked up a Lowepro Adventura 140 tonight for $35 at Target. I plan to use it to carry K30/10-17/40Ltd and it fits all comfortably. I can swap the 18-135 and 10-17 easily. If you can find a little padding to fit between the zooms, you can fit all three lenses into this bag, but it's a tight fit (40Ltd mounted, zooms unmounted). My goal was to get one bag to fit camera/lens plus two Ltd size lenses inside, and I think this will do it.
Both OfficeMax and WalMart are a trifle less expensive for this bag. Although I will likely return the one I purchased. I keep coming up about a 1/4 inch less room than I need. My 55-300 is the killer. That's too bad. It would otherwise make an acceptable waist level holster for my dSLR with the ability to keep an additional lens at the ready when I don't want to carry a bigger bag.

04-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
Don't know if the OP is still around, but I'm currently looking for a bag for my K-30 as well. However, my requirements are a bit different. I'm looking to be able to carry several extra lenses around with me and be able to swap them quickly according to my current need. I think I've found what I'm looking for in the form of sling bags like the Lowepro Slingshot series but I'm not sure what other brands make something comparable. Probably the 200 size? 300 looks too big, 100 might be too small although I haven't seen one in person yet and am not sure what local chains might have it in stock to see.

I'd probably keep my 18-135mm on the camera by default, but would also want to carry a 55-300 and several primes. Some of the primes will be small and it would be nice if the bag had a good way to store those safely without wasting a lot of space. ie - don't use a compartment sized for a long lens to store a stubby one.

Can lenses be safely stored in the top compartment? It looks like the padding is thinner there. Maybe a pluck-foam insert?

I'm also open to other styles of bag provided that they can be carried out-of-the-way and still allow for quick access to change lenses.

Last edited by dboeren; 04-10-2013 at 08:10 AM.
04-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dboeren Quote
I think I've found what I'm looking for in the form of sling bags like the Lowepro Slingshot seriesI'm also open to other styles of bag provided that they can be carried out-of-the-way and still allow for quick access to change lenses.
I'm not a fan of slings or backpack photo bags for quick access to gear when travelling by foot. I often wear a general purpose sling or back pack for jackets, snacks, water, souvenirs, etc. and a second bag of this style just doesn't work. I prefer either a waist bag, or better a bag with a shoulder strap worn cross body (over the back pack straps) that ALSO has a waist belt.

My current "big" bags are either my Tamrac 706 convertible bag (mine is from the early 80's and still going strong) or my Tamrac Zuma 7 messenger bag if I have to also carry a notebook or tablet. I added a waist strap to the Zuma 7 and swapped the shoulder strap from my 706. The waist strap redistributes the weight solely from my shoulder to my hips, keeps the bag from flopping around, yet allows the bag to be carried anywhere in an arc between one buttock and front of my thigh. And my photo gear is all immediately accessible without having to take off a backpack.

I am looking for a smaller bag when I want to travel lighter that I would again keep at my hip to function like a SLR holster, but also keep a couple additional lenses and spare batteries at the ready. I don't want to pay a bunch for this bag. I thought the Lowepro Adventura 140 would do the job, but like I said, once the 55-300 was in the bag, there was no room left to stuff in the camera strap without a lot of stretching. A 1/4" deeper and wider is all I would have needed.

My other essential piece of travelling kit is my sturdy monopod with a mini-ballhead and quick release. It doubles as a walking stick and greatly helps with fatigue.
04-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #10

I have a Low Pro TLZ Mini, It fits my K-5 with an 18-135 like it was custom made for the camera, just the right fit and padding to keep the K-5 secure. When hiking, I usually just leave the bag un- zipped for quick access. I actually bought the bag for a different camera and never used it much because it was too big for it, I was going to buy a bag for the K-5 but the Mini ended up fitting the K-5 perfectly, when I travel I just put the K-5 in the Mini and stuff stuff it in my backpack.
http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Topload-Zoom-Camera-Black/dp/B00004TX6Z

Last edited by monoloco; 04-10-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Add link
04-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #11

What would be a good bag that can go over one shoulder, be easily accessible without taking the bag off so I can change lenses on the go, and can hold:

K-30 w/ 18-135mm mounted
DA 55-300mm
At least two small primes (58mm or less)
Two longer primes (85-135mm)
Room for the charger, spare batteries, memory cards, etc...

That's basically 4 medium to semi-long lenses and two small ones (which could maybe stack into a single lens silo with a divider between) plus body and "stuff"
04-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What would be a good bag that can go over one shoulder, be easily accessible without taking the bag off so I can change lenses on the go, and can hold:

K-30 w/ 18-135mm mounted
DA 55-300mm

That's basically 4 medium to semi-long lenses and two small ones (which could maybe stack into a single lens silo with a divider between) plus body and "stuff"
Since lenses are essentially melted rock (glass) surrounded by metal or plastic, you are talking about a lot of weight dangling over one shoulder. I will suggest one of the sturdy Tamrac convertible bags that also include a hip belt - and I would suggest wearing both. I have a 30 year old model 706, but given the number of lenses, you may prefer to look at the model 709. Hauling that much stuff on the go, don't skimp on anything that is not robustly assembled, and comes with a premium shoulder strap. Trust me, you will regret anything narrower than 2 inches with lots of cushion inside a non-slip pad.
04-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #13

Admittedly I'm rather bad about that - I tend to think: "What if I need this lens (or whatever) and I don't have it with me?" I don't really want to carry a very heavy or large bag, I just don't want to end up standing somewhere wanting a specific lens and not having it with me.

Perhaps then what I need to do is try to slim things down a bit more, but honestly it didn't sound like it was THAT much stuff
04-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At the peak of my film days, my Tamrac 706 had four lenses - two primes and two zooms, a Super Program with an auto winder, a bellows unit, a flash, at least a half-dozen rolls of film and LOTS of extras. My bag weighed between 20 and 25 pounds - around 10kg for those on metric. I once carried all this about 4,000 feet (1.2km) up a mountain trail. And when I say "up" I am referring only to the vertical change in elevation - I really don't know how far the trail went horizontally. And of course I carried it all back to our vehicle. I could have saved myself a lot of work, because the only lenses I used were my lightest two - my 28mm and 50mm primes. My monopod was absolutely invaluable to help me keep my energy levels and balance.

I too still WANT to take it ALL with me everywhere, but age helps you get smarter in this regard, if nothing else because you know how much harder it would be to needlessly haul all that 'stuff' up that same mountain trail today.
04-14-2013, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

K-30 w/ 18-135mm mounted
DA 55-300mm

Why do you people drag all that clobber around with you ? My bag holds all that I need (or rather, want to) carry