Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

Beginner advice

I don't have time to get "into" the pentax forum at this time, so I'll ask you for beginning advise. I've just spent the last hour or so looking at different pentax cameras on the internet, and just when I thought I'd found the right one, I hadn't. I've got two older models of the slr's: a Honeywell and a K1000, so I'd kinda like to stick w/pentax. I can't afford the big bucks on the newer ones, looked at the r-'s,the x-'s and the Q's.
What I want is something that will have interchangeable lenses, an f stop below 30, and a viewfinder.
If there's such a one out there, could you tell me so I don't spend the next two days looking for it?
I have to go eat dinner; it's almost 10 pm, and I'm starved!
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Have a lovely Thanksgiving.
Quodlibet

11-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Q is an ultracompact and has no view finder.

If you are looking for a digital SLR that can take the lenses from your K1000:

Discontinued but not too long ago and can be found second hand at a good price: K-5, K-r, K-x, K-7
Current: K-30, K-5 II, K-5 IIs

Check out our camera database here.
11-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The f stops are in the lens, not the camera body. if you want f/32 then you need to check the lens. But most modern lenses are f/22 at their smallest. (But it would be better to avoid very small apertures to get good image quality - use a ND filter instead.)

without wanting to start a huge debate, it's worth noting that your old film lenses will be cropped by about 1/3 around the edge, so they will appear to behave narrower (or less wide angle). Wide angle lenses will seem to be normal and normal lenses will appear slightly telephoto. Because of this, it's worth getting a new wide angle lens or standard zoom. Some of the cameras are available in kits with a 18-55 or 18-135 which may be a good idea.
11-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #4

For the K-R and K-X you will most likely need to look at used ones as they have been out of production for some time but nice used ones can be found here on the forum,ebay or a quality used camera store like Adaroma,B@H or KEH .I haven't used the K-R but have a K-X which I could recomend

11-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #5

As you are on a budget you should give the K-01 a try! It's somewhere around 300 or 400$ right now, has a good Image Quality and interchangable lenses BUT no optical viewfinder. Go to a store to find out if the pricing pays up for the missing Viewfinder. In spite of that we do have the K5 and KR at home which I can both recommend (with the budget the KR would be the better choice).
To put it in a nutshell, I would give the K01 and KR a try!
11-20-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

You could go with a used older model from the Marketplace here on the Forum. Note that shutters should be good for 100,000 images. Just as a random example of what is available here is....No, not mine - and I don't know anything about it. The K7 is 3 years old, was Pentax's top of the line at that time. Very capable camera at a pretty reasonable price. The folks here on the forum tend to take good care of their equipment. Any Pentax lens produced will work on Pentax cameras. The older M42 screw lenses will require a $20 adapter (I am guessing your Honeywell Spotmatic?). K mount lenses just mount as on your K1000.

11-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
After reading, reading, and reading some more, I bought a new Kr, sight unseen, from a camera store on Ebay in September. Why sight-unseen? I trusted Pentax and also did not want to go with Canon or Nikon just to jump on that bandwagon (because everyone else seems to be).

Plus, I found an actual-size picture on the web that let me look at that model from all sides and read many, many reviews.

I really wanted to buy the K5 but had to cut my top dollar somewhere. The Kr sells for a decent price, and that price is going down every day.

The Kr has a raw option, which is a plus.

The deal winner was that I had a Sears Program camera in the closet (from many years ago) with prime K-mount lenses that attached like a charm onto my new Kr. I now use them at least as much, if not more, than my kit lens.

Stick with the Pentax forum and read, read, and read some more, even if just a little each day. It is a gold mine of information and help.
11-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I second the recommendation for a K-x. Excellent camera, best entry level camera on the market when it was released, and plenty pictures posted on here with it you can check out if you want to see the image quality. for that matter, just look through my gallery, everything there taken with a K-x. Most were also taken with older manual Pentax lenses or M 42 lenses. I guess I should say all, I don't think I have any posted any more taken with the kit lens, my only new one.

There's also a dedicated K-x thread, where people can post K-x shots, I don't have the link handy but it's not hard to find...

11-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by quodlibet Quote
I have to go eat dinner; it's almost 10 pm, and I'm starved!
Dinner took a long time...............
11-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I don't have time to get "into" the pentax forum at this time, so I'll ask you for beginning advise. I've just spent the last hour or so looking at different pentax cameras on the internet, and just when I thought I'd found the right one, I hadn't. I've got two older models of the slr's: a Honeywell and a K1000, so I'd kinda like to stick w/pentax. I can't afford the big bucks on the newer ones, looked at the r-'s,the x-'s and the Q's.
Since I can't find an indication of the level of camera you would like to have... seemingly a digital... Why not a *ist D at 6 megapixels... otherwise, what are you looking to do and what is your budget?
You have a K1000 and maybe have shot with it quit a bit... are you comfortable with manual control... would you say you are an advance user? K10D, K20D, K-x, K-r... used... K30 if new or bigger budget K7, K5?

...an f stop below 30
That depends on the lens and focal length more than the camera.
11-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The suggestion of an *istD isan interesting one. The camera is old now, almost 9 years, but if you find one with little use, it has a great set of features not available on later cameras, including a flash that works with any lens, not just ones with an A setting.

Ok, sure it is slooooooooooow and the LCD is the size of a postage stamp (a one cent one) bit it can take really good photos still, and is an easy way into DSLRs with little expense. It uses CF cards not SD which is a negative, but you can get a SD to CF adaptor on EBay cheap that let's you use SDcards so you can upgrade cameras later and not worry about memory compatibility.

You can also get a really good fly cheap, an AF 500FTZ which works only on the *istD DSLRs due to the *istD having a dual flash metering system.