Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #16
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It should have a big impact on price. And almost none on performance. If it does cause flare you can put india ink on it.

11-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #17
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
BTW I differ about the 28mm f3.5--I think it is one of the best lenses from Pentax, and the takumar works exceptionally well using aperture priority and zone focusing. Just set it to the desired f/stop and have lens in manual--so the lens is stopped down.

For their price (and even w/o considering price), the 50mm f1.7 (M), the 28 f3.5 Takumar (and I gather the K is even better--but as I use the takumar for street shooting as described above, I prefer it to the K), and the K 135 f2.5, are superb.
11-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
Forum Member

I bought an old Canon screwmount for my Leica M3 with a long scratch on it. It was an 85/1.9 and I got it for $40. It took great pictures and I never noticed a problem, even looking for one. I really miss that lens and may sometime get another for my GH1, but I did make a profit when I finally sold it because I could be confident in saying the scratch never affected the images.

I also found and used an old beat to hell Nikon 35/"f-something-or-other" that had serious haze on almost half of the front element. It also took nice pictures, with flare/lack of contrast that actually was easily fixed in post if not shooting with too much bright sunlight. Amazing how much a lens can take and still be quite useful.

I do suspect/wonder if a good digital sensor would pick up quality issues more quickly than film, however. I shot cheap color neg with the Nikon lens and probably never shot any color at all, reversal or otherwise, with the Canon; probably just tri-x.