Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #1

K100D takes all black photos...

I have a K100D that suddenly started taking all black images. It still sounds the same when it takes a photo and everything else (the lcd screen, menus etc,.) are working normally. I checked with the lens off and the mirror is moving when a picture is taken. I've tried fresh batteries and letting the camera sit for awhile and resetting it. No luck. Same problem even in manual mode and with manual focus.

I'm thinking maybe the shutter is stuck?

Any other suggestions on what I can try?

11-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #2

Original Poster
Upon further review it's definitely the shutter. It's not actuating when pictures are taken. I put the camera in sensor cleaning mode and long exposures and the shutter stays closed.

Is there anything at all I can do in this case?
11-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Camerax Quote
Upon further review it's definitely the shutter. It's not actuating when pictures are taken. I put the camera in sensor cleaning mode and long exposures and the shutter stays closed.

Is there anything at all I can do in this case?
To be honest: no. You could have it repaired but for the price of the repair you'd be able to purchase a used K20D which is a huge step up. I loved my K100D (the Super) at the time but with all of the improvements that have happened over the past 4 -6 years: do yourself a favour and either get one of the last legacy K-5's out there while they last or, if you have less financial leeway, pick up a used K20D.
11-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
Bummer.

It appears that the rear shutter doesn't open but the front one does...I don't know if that makes sense, but it's like the first part of the shutter that lifts up works but the back shutter that drops down doesn't work. I put the camera on sensor cleaning mode and gently reached in with a latex glove on the back shutter dropped to the bottom when I touched it. I'm not sure what the actual problem might be but it's probably an expensive fix.

11-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As mentioned, for the price of the repair of your K100, you could get something newer/better. I see K100s pop up in the Marketplace for ~$150 or even less, so you could keep your eyes open if you really liked the camera. (or place a "wanted" ad) Good luck.
11-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You may be surprised at how much broken stuff can get on ebay (with full disclosure,of course) You might get almost enough for another used one. I guess people need parts, or like to tinker. I got $100 or so for a broken laptop a while back, and was happy.
11-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Camerax Quote
Bummer.

It appears that the rear shutter doesn't open but the front one does...I don't know if that makes sense, but it's like the first part of the shutter that lifts up works but the back shutter that drops down doesn't work. I put the camera on sensor cleaning mode and gently reached in with a latex glove on the back shutter dropped to the bottom when I touched it. I'm not sure what the actual problem might be but it's probably an expensive fix.
The repair is probably replacing the shutter, which is not conveniently located. I'll give you $30 for the camera as-is. (I might be able to combine it with my brother's old *ist DL with a failed sensor.)