Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #1

K10D suddenly fails to turn on

I think that my K10D is objecting to the fact that I'm looking to upgrade to a K5II!

I last turned the K10D on on October 30, just to check the firmware version (v1.30 - I decided that the update to v1.31 wasn't important).

Then, last weekend, I went to use the camera and the response to turning on was nothing but a flashing battery outline on the top lcd, as though the battery was completely flat. I put the battery on charge for a couple of hours, until the charging light went off. However, the behaviour of the camera was exactly the same. I connected the mains power unit but the response to turning the camera on was absolutely nothing.

Okay, perhaps the battery has died, and the mains ps unit too - I took the mains unit to a Pentax stockist, who allowed me to connect to their K5, with the battery removed. The K5 worked fine with the psu, proving that t is alive and well.

So, I am left with the conclusion that my K10D has failed spontaneously, with no apparent cause. I have seen postings from other K10D owners with similar symptoms. It seems that, sometimes, the camera revives just as spontaneously as it failed. However, I have not been able to find any information as to what goes wrong with the camera, and what a repair involves.

I have tried with more than one sd card (and with no card). I have checked the sd card door - the switch will control whether the flashing battery symbol appears on the top lcd, so I'm sure that switch is working correctly.

Has anyone any insight into this problem, or can advise what else to check, or how to repair?

Although I bought the K10D while I was still living in UK, I have now emigrated to the Philippines - the 'birth' place of most Pentax cameras. However, I'm not sure whether to entrust my camera to the service agent - Filipinos love to make improvised repairs!

11-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have already tried everything that I was going to suggest. I did have the same problem with mine some time ago, but I forgot what I did. But don't give up yet. try some seemingly dumb things too, iike remove and remount the lens, turn all the knobs, wheels and buttons. Sense you couldn't actually try your battery in a K-5 because it is a different battery, it still could be the battery.
11-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Do you have the battery grip on it?
Before mine died I had the same problem. I would have to take the battery select from auto in the menu and change it to either the body or the grip, which ever shows it has power.
Otherwise I would try another new battery

Good luck

Randy
11-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #4

Original Poster
Yes, it's quite possible that the battery has failed, but why would the camera not work when powered by the mains power adapter?

Also, behaviour of the battery on charger is still as it ever was and, out of the camera (with no load, admittedly) it still measures 8.4V.

11-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #5

Sounds like a dead battery for sure.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your K10D. I wish I could think of what else you could try that hasn't already been suggested. I have a K10D and still use it but I have not had any problems with it battery wise. I have the grip too as well so what to do there has been suggested. I have 3 batteries just to make sure I have plenty of backup.
11-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peteb Quote
Yes, it's quite possible that the battery has failed, but why would the camera not work when powered by the mains power adapter?

Also, behaviour of the battery on charger is still as it ever was and, out of the camera (with no load, admittedly) it still measures 8.4V.
8.v is fine, but it might not have enough amps which will act like a died battery
My wife's k100 does the same thing.. Only works well with the batteries full

Thanks
Randy
12-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Could it be the on-board backup battery is dead/discharged? Perhaps it won't turn on unless this battery is charged. There was another post with the specifications of the backup batteries. Seems like they have a rather limited complete discharged - charge cycle and a fairly large partially discharged - charge cycle. As I recall (probably erroneously these days) the Pentax support site said it takes about 12 hours to fully charge the backup battery with a fully charged main battery. And it takes about 40-48 hours to completely discharge the backup from either a discharged/dead/removed main battery.

So maybe try letting the camera sit a day with a fully charged battery before trying to turn it on?

I have a K10D too. So far I've not experienced this problem.
12-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #8

I have not had my K-10 for a while. Change to a different lens and do the factory reset Then change back to your lens. other than that just tell it your getting the K-5
Theo