Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom 4 vs Elements 11

Just wondering what are your thoughts about the two. I pretty much just got into LR3(trial version have 4 days left) and I'm liking it, I also have gimp for the stuff that LR3 can't do, like layers/masking and stuff. Anyway LR4 and PS E11 are on sale right now and I'm thinking of getting one of them.

11-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

LR 4 on sale has to be a great deal, especially since even the retail price is half what v3 sold for.
I'd get both, but if you have to choose one go with LR. You have the gimp for pixel pushing if needed. Elements is often sold at discount anyway. LR, not so much.
LR is great by the way.

M
11-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
LR 4 on sale has to be a great deal, especially since even the retail price is half what v3 sold for.
I'd get both, but if you have to choose one go with LR. You have the gimp for pixel pushing if needed. Elements is often sold at discount anyway. LR, not so much.
LR is great by the way.

M
Thank you as always Mr. M !
11-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 what Miguel said. I just jumped from LR3 to LR4 a few months ago, and I can say that while the sliders changed a bit between versions, I can get more out of my RAW photos on LR4 than LR3. I also have PSE 9, and while it has its place for some touch-up functions, probably 97% of my editing is done in LR4. I would jump to LR4 and not look back!

11-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom + GIMP is a good combination. Elements also works seamlessly with Lightroom. If you are serious about photography get Lightroom and don't look back. Unless you are heavily into layers you won't need anything but Lightroom, but you do need that external editor for those times when nothing else will do. But the more I learn about LR the less I find need an editor.
11-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I have been playing around with RAW files for a while now. I have downloaded numerous programs (several are free) others are trial versions.

I finally downloaded Lightroom 4 and did their trial thing (I have 29 and 2/3 days left)...

Needless to say I have gotten a general feel about how these programs operate (in general) and after about 30 minutes using lightroom the whole thing is settled for me. I don't know what Elements is supposed to do, but lightroom has a very good and very easy workflow.

The trigger has been pulled I am now committed to LR4. I would just buy it outright right now, but I am hard to buy Christmas presents for so I asked for it for Christmas. Most of the programs I used before have left me with a bit of an 'eh I'm not so sure' feel...except lightroom4.

Now its time to start dedicating time to learning LR4 in depth.
11-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Adobe really wants you to buy more than one Adobe product, so there might be one thing missing from LR4 that you need from elsewhere, or from Elements that you think you need from LR4. If you shoot RAW (highly recommended), I would get LR because you need the excellent RAW conversion part of LR. The cataloging is also nice. I have Photoshop CS5 but where LR doesn't have the editing power and I need CS5, I am almost out of my processing skills anyway. I can keep going but it isn't always a great idea. Elements skips some of the most useful RAW conversion tools but works well for a JPG shooter, with a lot of features and editing geared for those files.
11-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys (: Here's what I'm planning to get Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Software For Mac And Windows
Anyway is there a difference between the teacher/student version vs the "regular" version?

Thanks

11-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
Thanks for the input guys (: Here's what I'm planning to get Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Software For Mac And Windows
Anyway is there a difference between the teacher/student version vs the "regular" version?

Thanks
no diffence except in price and you need proof of status to qualify

btw i notice no one has answered your originl question, I would suggest you down load the free to try Elements 11 and see.

I have cs5 which I never use all I use is lr 3 and element 9 and have no problems , always shoot raw take a look at my flikr stuff

Flickr: countrystudio's Photostream
11-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
With Student version you can only purchase one copy per year; you also cannot sell your software (license, technically) to anyone. You also won't qualify for upgrade pricing of regular retail versions; however you will qualify for student pricing of next versions.

M
11-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Just a note because I haven't tried it yet...
Elemental
"The Elemental plugin integrates Photoshop Elements (PSE) with Lightroom, enabling external editing of images using a workflow similar to Lightroom's native integration with Photoshop. It allows images to be PhotoMerged, Opened as Layers or Smart Objects, and more in the Photoshop Elements Editor directly from Lightroom."

"Elemental is compatible with Photoshop Elements version 6 onwards when using Lightroom 2, Photoshop Elements version 8 onwards when using Lightroom 3, and Photoshop Elements version 10 onwards when using Lightroom 4."

As I purchased LR4 a couple months ago (still learning how to use) and PSE9 (been using PSE for years)... I have PSE11 on order at Black Friday prices. I'm visualizing this as the poor man's version of Photoshop using Lightroom as a plug-in.

I'll report my experience in the post processing sub-forum, but hope others might do the same.
11-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys (:

Last edited by kaiserz; 11-23-2012 at 08:06 PM.
11-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I've been using LR3 for a couple of years along with Elements 9. I find Lightroom covers 90% of what I need and occasionally I'll use Elements to do something LR can't. I used the beta of LR 4 and I liked it. The biggest advantage I found with Lightroom was that I could shoot RAW and have a very quick and easy way to process and make any adjustments I needed to do. I never shot much RAW and considered the conversion process a hassle and avoided it. LR made it simple and quick with a very easy learning curve. I just bought LR 4 and it will be going on a new computer I'll be putting together soon and I'm patiently waiting for the Windows Surface Pro tablets to come out. LR 4 was being sold yesterday for $79.95 at Newegg and if you missed it, the deal will probably turn up again.
11-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #14

Has anyone out there used Darktable? I run mainly in a Linux environment so it's readily available but don't know if the features stack up to what's available in LR or E11.
11-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I went ahead and got the B&H LR4 package with the crash course for $94 (free shipping). Since I had LR3 on trial for a month I found out that I also use it 95% of the time. the only time I use gimp is when I need a much more powerful "heal" tool.
Aectrurus, I haven't tried it yet, I'ma try it on my ubuntu machine when I have time (: