Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #1

spotmatic lightmeter

hi, i recently bought a Pentax Spotmatic. the light meter doesnt appear to work. I replaced the battery with a new Wein battery but still no luck. I have bought a pentax light meter off ebay to sit on top but have no idea how to attach. Any ideas? Also how do you cure a mirror that stays up after firing the shutter?

11-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jon81 Quote
hi, i recently bought a Pentax Spotmatic. the light meter doesnt appear to work. I replaced the battery with a new Wein battery but still no luck. I have bought a pentax light meter off ebay to sit on top but have no idea how to attach. Any ideas? Also how do you cure a mirror that stays up after firing the shutter?
Welcome to the forum! I would reccomend sending your camera for a CLA. We all use Eric, this is his home page:

Home

You can get a this clip-on shoe for the Spotmatic, which can be used for a flash or meter.

Phil.
Attached Images

11-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you got the clip-on Pentax meter, it was made for the earlier non-metered Pentax models that had provision to mount it so that it connected to their shutter-speed dials, which were made for that purpose. It won't fit the Spotmatic or connect to its shutter speed dial. The Pentax clip-on meters (two different models were made) slipped over a groove in the eyepiece instead of into a shoe.
I agree that sending it to Eric for cleaning and repair is the best move you could make. His prices are very reasonable, turn-around times are prompt, and he will send you a free estimate to approve after he looks the camera over. If you decide not to accept his service he will return the camera at no charge; so all you risk is the shipping cost to him. If you have him services it, it will come back working like new, and will last a LONG time.
11-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I just sent a Spotmatic to Eric with simular issues as the OP. Light meter is not working and the mirror is stuck in the up position. Total cost is $70.00 for parts and labor.

Phil.

11-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

There was no clip-on meter for the Spotmatic. As TomB_tx pointed out, there were a couple for earlier Pentax cameras, that had no built-in meter.

The closest you might get is the clip-on meter that was made for the Pentax SL, which was a Spotmatic with no meter. They did make a clip-on for that, but they are as rare as hen's teeth. Also, the SL had a notch on the shutter speed dial for the meter to connect to. The Spotmatic shutter dial has no such notch.

You have a couple of choices: send the camera to Eric for a CLA, which will probably restore the meter functionality, as well; buy another Spotmatic with a working meter; use a handheld meter or get the Pentax accessory clip and a meter designed for that clip. Or you can just use the "Sunny 16" rule to determine the proper exposure.

The mirror not returning could be due to several things. The most likely is that the mirror foam has deteriorated and turned to a black, sticky mess and the mirror is simply sticking to it. A CLA by Eric will definitely fix this.