Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #1

Optimo M40 - Battery Depletion

I have a pentax optimo m40 point and shoot camera. (I think that’swhat you call these non photography silly person cameras).

It appears to deplete the battery too quickly. Ill getbetween 1 – 4 shots (with flash I admit!) then battery says it is depleted. Thebattery had been fully charged. I may be able to turn it on then get one or twomore and then itll turn itself off. On a rare occasion I can pick it up hourslater and get a few more out of it – and the indicator show as green but itwill then go back to red after 5-10 shots.

Ive had a look around on here and it could be the battery isbad or something wrong with the camera. Im hoping it is the first one as ivenot given it much use.

Most posts recommend using either energiser lithium’s orthese Eneloop rechargeable ones. However mine uses a battery pack so i seem to be at a loss. Sadly the M40 replaced a different camera which took proper batteries – the only reason it was replaced was for the shake reduction due to me loosing important shots due to shake. Mind you turns out the m40 doesn’t do this either!

So should I try getting a new battery pack? I would prefer fromsomewhere like amazon.co.uk and there is a few from either Duracell or someother non pentax ones that are compatible avaiable on there.

Or could there be something wrong with the camera? I admitits been rather cold in my room (under 9 degrees C) but I though things had toget really really cold to affect electronic equipment / batteries?

help please?

11-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Temperature does affect batteries, and at 9C you'll get less juice than at normal room temperature. However, it still sounds like your battery is busted. Given how cheap new P&S's are, though, this may be a good opportunity to upgrade your camera!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
hmm hope that it may be my battery pack then! (fingers crossed as im rather strapped for cash atm!)
would you suggest a pentax original battery or 3rd party? to test with, if it fixes the problem then i could limp along until i get my finances sorted!

i would love to get a new one atm mainly due to the lack of shake reduction - my phone (and its a old htc desire) seems to provide less blured shots then my dedicated camera. at the moment im not using it for anything other then ebay / odd shots i see with walks i go on.

i have got a concert in april id like to use it at and admitedly it is the worst place to take a camera with it being a difficult enviroment but maybe that and the need for a camera i can use and not need to stand DEAD STILL might be the reasons for a new P&S camera any suggestions? (i do realise that is like saying how long is a piece of string!). Aparently the chose digital sr mode on my camera is different to the sr i was after (still trying toget my head around that - n00b i am!).