Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #1

K-5 Underexposure in Tv and Av

After working fine for nearly 2 years, my K-5 recently started consistently underexposing two or three stops in Tv and Av modes, regardless of which lens I use. Exposure with the Auto "Green" setting (which I never normally use) is perfect however, indicating that this is not a metering issue. Any suggestions what the problem might be?

11-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you tried a factory reset?
11-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just had that happen at thanksgiving. It ended up being an operator error in my case, forgot that I had dialed in -2.7 EV compensation.
Something to check, just in case.
11-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check to make sure you do not have any exposure compensation dialed in. And if you are using flash check the flash exposure compensation as well.

Check a different lens just to rule out the lens.

11-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is the meter mode in spot, center or matrix?
11-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your suggestions. The underexposure occurs with three different lenses, I have checked that there is zero EV compensation set and I am not using flash. The metering mode is set to matrix but I have not changed that for several months (long before the problem started). I have not tried a "factory reset" - does that mean downloading and installing the latest firmware?
11-25-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robinvic Quote
After working fine for nearly 2 years, my K-5 recently started consistently underexposing two or three stops in Tv and Av modes, regardless of which lens I use. Exposure with the Auto "Green" setting (which I never normally use) is perfect however, indicating that this is not a metering issue. Any suggestions what the problem might be?
Using green mode will set most settings to the "green" default value. Many of the functions in the camera will be disabled, and all custom setting will be disabled.

FI, exposure compensation is not available in green mode, and metering will be multi-segment only. So if the camera is set for any other metering mode, and if you have set exposure compensation, it will only show when you use Tv or Av mode.

11-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not tried a "factory reset" - does that mean downloading and installing the latest firmware?
No, it just resets everything back to "normal". You find it in Custom menu, page 4, last item at the bottom.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-25-2012 at 09:20 AM.
11-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for your suggestions. The underexposure occurs with three different lenses, I have checked that there is zero EV compensation set and I am not using flash. The metering mode is set to matrix but I have not changed that for several months (long before the problem started). I have not tried a "factory reset" - does that mean downloading and installing the latest firmware?
You go around the menu and reset every setting.
Custom settings, picture settings, blah blah blah...
Go around the menus and every "reset" thing there is, just click it...then turn the camera off, remove the battery, let it sit like that for a couple of seconds and put it back in and turn on.
11-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
No, it just resets everything back to "normal". You find it in Custom menu, page 4, last item at the bottom.
Thank you, I tried that but it did not help (there was only one small item in the Custom menu that was not already on the "1" default setting). However I will keep looking at the other menus in case there is some other setting that I have accidentally changed, and re-set them as necessary.
11-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #11

Original Poster
Success finally!

(with thanks to Rio and Maryland!). As previously mentioned, resetting the Custom menu did not help and I checked all my other settings individually without getting anywhere. However, as soon as I hit "Reset" on Set-up menu 3 the problem went away - and even when I reintroduced all my old settings as I had noted them, everything still looks good. So I guess the key is to quit treating it logically like a camera and remember that it's basically a computer (ie: if in doubt, re-boot!). Another inch up the learning curve . . .
11-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

(with thanks to Rio and Maryland!). As previously mentioned, resetting the Custom menu did not help and I checked all my other settings individually without getting anywhere. However, as soon as I hit "Reset" on Set-up menu 3 the problem went away - and even when I reintroduced all my old settings as I had noted them, everything still looks good. So I guess the key is to quit treating it logically like a camera and remember that it's basically a computer (ie: if in doubt, re-boot!). Another inch up the learning curve . . .
Glad i could help =)
Yes, don't try to understand why doing that factory reset helps at all, and why rebooting and/or closing an opening again helps...it just works