Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sport shooting with K-5 II

I just migrated from a Canon 5D Mk 1 to Pentax k5 II. Most of what I shoot is stationary, but I sometimes shoot sports for our church events. My old 5D had a slow focus but I used the Canon 70-200 L lense so it help with the camera's slow focus.
The Canon is gone and replaced with the K-5. This last week I took photos of our Church's Turkey Bowl tag football The only two lens I have are the MC DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED and the SMCP-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED. I choose the 55-300mm lens to shoot with but found afterward that most of the photos were less than 135mm. I set the camera up to shoot DNG, camera lens corrections turned off, continuous shooting with center focus point. I did not turn on the expanded auto focus points.

After all this, I was a little disappointed in the results, focus was missed a lot. I think the camera body was not at fault, it was camera operator and lens choice. At the present time, I can only afford these two lens. Should I have used the 18-135 instead of the 55-300mm? Eventually I want to sell the 55-300 for maybe the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 HSM, but that's in the future. With what equipment I have, what camera settings would be best for this type of shooting?
If curious, some of the football photos can be seen here: Zenfolio | Will Edwards | Tag Football 2012

11-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax is still behind the competition as far as sports and continuous shooting goes, but with the 70-200mm you should be able to get decent results in AF.C mode. The IF and the faster aperture will both help

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Several users have commented that the expanded AF points was very helpful in their sport shooting.
11-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Several users have commented that the expanded AF points was very helpful in their sport shooting.
With expanded points on AF.

As you can see, it's either a hit or miss

Attached Images

11-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

55-300 is pretty difficult to auto focus on fast objects, but it can be done with lots of practice. I find it's better to have the shutter release AF turned off and use the rear AF button when shooting birds and so on - otherwise you risk having it focus all the way in and all the way out if the bird moves off the focus point.
11-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all. I do use the rear AF button and take the focus off of the capture button. Been doing that for years.
11-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Those are pretty decent, really, for just snaps of church fun. I wouldn't spend the money on a faster lens unless you are regularly doing kids leagues or adult clubs work.

To freeze action like this you really need 1/750-1/1000 shutter. With that camera you should be able to crank up the ISO from 400 to 1600 or even 3200 and get very usable shots. Noise is a very minor issue for informal outdoor sports. Also open up the aperture as much as you can.Switching from DNG to Jpeg will allow a faster frame rate--just depends on your comfort level handling jpegs that are a bit less forgiving.

M
11-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I guess I will say again, that lens is very sharp, but it's also very slow... I mainly like it because it's easy to carry in my bag when following birds. I follow them on my bicycle, so I don't want a heavy lens.

Another idea may be to stand further back and leave the lens at 300mm. It's easier to track movement from further away.

I often use ISO 1600 or higher on my K7 and noise isn't an obvious problem in daylight conditions. Like Miguel said, your K5 will easily go beyond ISO3200 with no real noise problem!
Good luck for next time!
Cheers. Cal

11-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #9
Pentaxian

This thread is good to see what others are doing for sports shooting, and what lenses they're using, if you haven't seen it yet: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/115277-k-5-sports-photography.html

I have the K-5 IIs, and I think the expanded AF may be a hindrance for the type of action shooting I do (runners). Try it both ways.

I like to use the Tav mode, with max ISO of 5000 on my K-5, and 10000 on my K-5 IIs.
11-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I like to use the Tav mode, with max ISO of 5000 on my K-5, and 10000 on my K-5 IIs.
This is interesting.
Does this mean the K5-II is even lower noise than the K5???
I hadn't thought of using Tav mode - I always just use Av and then twiddle the ISO with the front dial manually.
11-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
This is interesting.
Does this mean the K5-II is even lower noise than the K5???
I hadn't thought of using Tav mode - I always just use Av and then twiddle the ISO with the front dial manually.
Tav is good when both shutter speed and aperture matter more than ISO. For me, it usually does when shooting action.

The K-5 IIs shows less effective noise than the K-5. The K-5 II appears to be somewhere in-between the two.