Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2012, 03:21 AM   #1

k20d mirrow lock up timer function

Dear all,

I hoped I have place this message at the right locations, there are no place for the k20d in this forum.

I have a Pentax k20d and I would like to use it for astrophotography, but for that to work, I need the whole photo setup (ie telescope and camera assemble) to be very still. I know the k20d have a 2 second mirror lock up function(this means the mirror lock up into place and wait for 2 seconds before taking the photo.). There is also a 10 second wait function, but in this mode, the mirror move at the 10 seconds mark which results in shaking the whole assembly and then takes the picture.

My question is, is/are there ways of increasing the waiting time between mirror lock-up and the processor taking the picture?

Any suggestion or hints will be greatly appreciated.

sincerely.

11-26-2012, 03:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You can try using live-view.
11-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nuk20d Quote
My question is, is/are there ways of increasing the waiting time between mirror lock-up and the processor taking the picture?
You can get one extra second if you use the remote with 3s timer. Other than that, nothing I could find.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
You can try using live-view.
The mirror flops in live-view with the K20D.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-26-2012 at 08:00 AM.
11-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
An old standard device. Trip the shutter with a long exposure time, with a card (your hat, ...) almost touching the lens--then take away the card and expose for desired duration.

11-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #5

Don't bother with liveview, as it is terrible. Audiobomber's suggestion of using the remote timer is the best route I know of.
12-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
thank you to all for your input.

Dear all contributors,

I would like to thank you for your imput into my issue. I have red about the hat in front of the lense trick, but I must have forgot then it.
this seems to be the simplest solution to my problem. Now all I have to do is make a blocking screen.

thank you .

Sincerely.
12-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Can you please explain why you need more time with the mirror up for astrophotography? Is it because the assembly is still shaking after two seconds?
12-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In the scenario you ask about typically your shutter speed will be many seconds, so holding a card close to but not touching the lens front will work fine--the fact that a very little light enters is insignificant. The point being you actually don't want it touching as you then cause vibrations in the telescope when removing the card.

Just trip the shutter, count to 10 maybe, and then pull the card away--and set exposure time to include the extra time the card blocked the lens. Often in this situation (anyway if using bulb setting) you will continue to count and use that as your timer.