Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #1

Tamron 01F 2x TC dismantling

Hi

I have just bought a Tamron adaptall 01F 2x TC and unfortunately one of the rear lens set is cloudy. I guess I could just try buying another as they aren't expensive but I was wondering if any had experience in dismantling one. I have managed to screw the "tube" out of the centre and looking at it, it appears the ring holding the rear glass may screw off which would get me where I need to be to attempt to clean things up. Any help appreciated and sorry if this forum isn't exactly appropriate.

11-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are really small slots for a spanner wrench in a ring around the rear element. I was encouraged because these are too small to hold up under a lot of torque. I wrapped a piece of rubber around the ~4mm wide ring at the rear, and it unscrewed counter-clockwise just fine. Mine had no thread-locker stuff on it so it's mostly a matter of getting a good grip on it. You can then remove the rearmost glass element.
11-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hey thanks.

Thats what I suspected but I hadn't noticed the small slots. ( Late at night and old eyes ). I gave it one try with a rubber jar opener thingy but now I'll have a harder try - or even more than just one more.
Where you opening it to clean the glass, and if so what cleaner did you use?

Thanks again
11-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I just opened it to answer your question, see how it worked.

Don't take any of my cleaning advice. I use an old T-shirt and window cleaner. You can probably hear the gasp of horror from everyone else.

11-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
Gotta admire a bloke driven by challenge. I'll ignore the gasping ..... but I will use a freshly washed T-shirt.

Regards
11-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I just opened it to answer your question, see how it worked.

Don't take any of my cleaning advice. I use an old T-shirt and window cleaner. You can probably hear the gasp of horror from everyone else.
GASP! THE HORROR!!

I had a "cloudy" 01F and took it apart as described here. However, the haze was in between two cemented elements (but I think there is only one compound element in there). In the end I made it into an extension tube for the 90mm macro!

As far as cleaning goes, I remember reading some french guy who "de-fogged" lenses using a thick, paste-like makeup remover and letting it sit on there for a day before wiping it off and cleaning it with lighter fluid. N.B. - I never tried it because my wife doesn't wear makeup (and should never need to!).
11-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Make sure you have some way of knowing which direction the lens goes back in. Flip it backwards and you have a paperweight till you open it up and flip it back over...

The makeup referenced was probably cold cream. I've seen comments about it being used to help remove fungus, but haven't used it myself.

I use micro fiber cloths (clean) to clean lenses, if it needs anything but a wipe down I'll use a damp one, (damp not soaking dripping wet) and if it really needs work, acetone. You can get acetone as nail polish remover just be sure and get one that says 100% acetone, and lists no oils, perfumes or coloring agents. Acetone is clear. and it shouldn't hurt the lens coatings.
12-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies'

I still had trouble removing the rear ring but found a post on another forum where someone with the same problem had heated it with a hair dryer. I tried it and yes it freed it up enough to unscrew it. On mine it is the flat side of the centre lens which according to the adaptall website is a single element unlike yours Panoguy. I gave it the treatment with 50/50 Ammonia and Hydrogen Peroxide applied with cotton buds ( The Oz equivalent of your Q tips I believe ). I have reduced the cloudyness by about half I estimate and a few trial shots show quite an improvement but I am still not entirely happy. I also am using it with a Tamron SP 90 2.5 so all I can compare my trial shots too is the very sharp results of the SP 90 by itself. It's my first real delve into the macro world so maybe the results are down to my lack of knowledge ( technique ) or perhaps I'm being too fussy or maybe it's just because I know it's still a little cloudy and it's annoying me. Anyway I now have the makeup remover to try and failing that the Acetone!!

I was very careful when I pulled it to bits Paleo Pete for the reasons you highlighted. I even examined the little spacer ring with a magnifying glass to make sure one edge wasn't champfered to rest against the curved side of the center lens. I've had a Pentax A 50 2.0, with a touch of fungus, sitting on a shelf waiting for me to get the confidence to pull that apart for a few months now but that looks a lot more complicated - perhaps that will be the paper weight.

Thanks all for you help.

11-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #9

01F dismantling too!

I was encouraged when I saw this thread - I too own a 01F with cloudy issues - however after reading I couldn't find many of the things spoken of - plus, I wanted to be sure, do I need to unscrew any of the little screws in the lens?

Would someone be so kind as to post a detailed description, hopefully with a picture or 2, of exactly how to take apart the 01F for cleaning? Would be IMMENSELY appreciated I do not want to strip the screws or take apart things unnecessarily.

Lastly, has anyone taken apart a Tamron SP 500 BBAR mirror lens? Also needs a clean...
11-19-2013, 11:59 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

All of the lens elements are in a tube that unscrews from the rest of the stuff. I was able to unscrew that tube with just my fingers. There appears to be a locking ring with spanner slots in the front, which might be helpful if you can't get the tube to unscrew. The green arrow points to one slot at the top, and there's one at the bottom.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
There are really small slots for a spanner wrench in a ring around the rear element. I was encouraged because these are too small to hold up under a lot of torque. I wrapped a piece of rubber around the ~4mm wide ring at the rear, and it unscrewed counter-clockwise just fine. Mine had no thread-locker stuff on it so it's mostly a matter of getting a good grip on it. You can then remove the rearmost glass element.
The green arrow points to the ring at the rear that I mentioned above.

The frontmost element looks like it has a retaining ring with holes for a pin-type spanner wrench. You can see those in the first photo.

The mirror lens has a retaining ring with spanner slots inside the filter threads. This ring unscrews and allows access to clean the mirrors. The mirror surface is on the back of these mirrors so you are just cleaning glass, so the surface is not delicate. Some mirror lenses have the silvering on the face like the camera's mirror and are much harder to clean. My lens had a glued-on trim piece in the center that fell off and I haven't reglued. The retaining ring looks like it used to have threadlock on it but it wasn't a problem for me.

11-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #11

Dave, you are a scholar and a gentleman. I never even saw that little clip on the 01F! As for the 55BB It looks easy to pull apart I just wanted your reassurance that it was simple and not delicate. With your help I will be doing these cleaning jobs soon and thanks so much for teh very, very useful pics!