Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gimbal head. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

I have an Induro gimbal head and a 400mm f/2.8. I finally took the old tripod head off my tripod and mounted the Induro. Then I tried to mount the lens GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
I could tell it was going to happen and it did. First the lens is so front heavy that it simply spun on the mount until it hit some other part of the head. I am not willing to crank the plate screw so tight into the lens mount base that this wonn't happen. Frankly, I don't think I could crank it down tight enough anyway.
In addition to the threaded mount hole, there are two other unthreaded holes in the mounting base. If I could screw something into one of those, I think the twisting could be stopped.
QUESTIONS:
!) Am I doing anything wrong?
2) Would you tap one of the extra holes so you could add another screw to keep the mounting plate from spinning?
Thanks for any help before I toss this lens out the second story window.

11-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I am probably completely misunderstanding but isn't that what a gimbal head is supposed to do? I thought the lens was supposed to spin freely on the mount and the weight of the camera in the rear and lens in the front need to be balanced so that it does not move. This is normally accomplished by moving the Arca Swiss lens plate back and forth in the mount until it balances.

Sorry if that is not your issue but if not maybe a picture would show what is wrong?
11-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Your complete misunderstanding may well be out done by my complete stupidity. Let me sleep on your input.
11-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is this the A*400/2.8? If so, I know it's hard to handle. I'm not familiar with the Induro but my Manfrotto gimbal allows me to move the lens front and back and clamp it down at the balance point. Does the Induro manual address this?

11-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You need a lens plate to balance the load...are you mounting it by directly screwing it to the gimbal arm? If the lens is awkwardly weighted youll need a longer plate than usual. Properly mounted the lens and camera should balance on the gimbal without holding it.
11-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Find the center of balance of the camera and mounted lens, then purchase a mounting plate long enough so that the gimbal will be centered at that position.
There are lots of long arca Swiss compatible plates available on eBay or your favorite seller.
11-27-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Is this a side mounting Gimbal or a traditional swingarm type????

If its a swingarm, as the other lads have said, you need a lens plate (probably a 4inch or so) to slide the lens to a balance point. If its a side mount, and the lens itself is turning on the lens plate, you will need to get it to lock, maybe a few pictures of your setup will help us, help you.

cmohr

PS, If you scroll down in this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/174187-my...lots-pics.html you'll see my Gimbal head and the Lens Plate making Balancing the lens easy..

Last edited by cmohr; 11-27-2012 at 05:01 AM.
11-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all.
So, how stupid am I? VERY.
I did NOT mount the lens to the camera body before trying to get the thing to balance. That is how stupid.
Dadipentak, yes, that is the one, and boy howdy it IS hard to handle--HEAVY.
Back to the workout, with the weights properly configured.
More later.
Thanks again.
Jack

11-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
-HEAVY.
and FAT
11-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Is this a side mounting Gimbal or a traditional swingarm type????

If its a swingarm, as the other lads have said, you need a lens plate (probably a 4inch or so) to slide the lens to a balance point. If its a side mount, and the lens itself is turning on the lens plate, you will need to get it to lock, maybe a few pictures of your setup will help us, help you.

cmohr

PS, If you scroll down in this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/174187-my...lots-pics.html you'll see my Gimbal head and the Lens Plate making Balancing the lens easy..
If it is a side mounting gimbal then you need to make sure that the lens cannot rotate on the plate, which is difficult sometimes with a front heavy arrangement. Even though mine is a swing arm type, I used small set screws in the Acura Swiss plate to lock the lens true on the plate, because my tamron 200-500/5.6 is also very front heavy. The zoom and focus collars take up the space where a happened mount could be located.
11-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks again all.
I have started a new thread titled "I did it!" for the next chapter.
Take care.
Jack