Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Basics for the pentax me super

I Just bought this camera at a thrift shop downtown. I'm going to get some film and batteries now and wanted to know what are some tips and tricks anyone's discovered. I've gone over the manual and I think I've got the jist of it. The only piece missing is the self timer level. Is that a big deal if I wasnt planning on using it?

11-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Dry fire it without film after you put batteries in it, no need to waste film if the camera is no good. The ME Super is not known for being the most reliable camera, make sure the mirror moves as it should and the shutter works before loading any film. A working meter is also handy, so make sure all of the LEDs in the viewfinder work and especially the digital display for the shutter speed.
11-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Missing timer lever is a sign that someone tried to open it. As elliott suggests, test before putting film in... however, the ME Super can be very reliable if new or has been serviced properly. Dried out or decayed foam cushions and rubber bumpers are commonly going to be first to go in the ME Super or for that matter, any camera older than 15 years.
11-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Dry fire it without film after you put batteries in it, no need to waste film if the camera is no good. The ME Super is not known for being the most reliable camera, make sure the mirror moves as it should and the shutter works before loading any film. A working meter is also handy, so make sure all of the LEDs in the viewfinder work and especially the digital display for the shutter speed.
So I messed with it a bit and I'm not sure that the shutter and mirrors move correctly. What should happen when I push the button? Should it feel like I took a picture? What can I do or where can I take it to get fixed?

11-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Giveaway winner!

If I might suggest...
Test the shutter action while the film door is open, you can inspect opening and closing of the shutter, but be careful not to touch the shutter leafs.
Check if 1 second is about correct and check if 1000 is a faint opening and closing when pointed at a bright light source.
Set the 125X setting to see if it is firing... this function does not need battery power to work.
11-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Open the film door. Take off the lens. Set shutter speed to 1/500 or so. Look through the camera from the back and push the shutter button.

Reset shutter speed to 1/60. Do the same thing.

You should see a noticeable difference in the time the shutter opens and closes by looking through it as it trips, without a lens. Or with one for that matter, but I prefer without, especially inside. It lets in plenty light. I don't think it will hurt anything, but I'm sure these guys will correct me if I'm wrong...

EDIT: Mystery was posting while I was typing...same idea.

Except that if it's a ME Super, (I'd have to pull mine out and look) but I think the shutter speed is set with buttons on top, so it needs batteries to do that.
11-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Testing The ME Super?

Hello Lawilliams01, Welcome to the Forum!
First off, did you put new batteries in the camera? You'll need 'em anyway, may as well get a set. The old number was S76, now they're called Energizer 357/303 or SMC V357 from batteriesPlus.
Even without the batteries, the shutter will fire on Auto, M, 125X and B. I just tried it with mine. Press the little white button on the mode dial and turn it counter-clockwise, off "L" (Lock) to the first position, "AUTO". Cock the shutter and it should fire, a quick sound and rapid opening/closing of the shutter blades (curtain), plus a fast blackout of the viewfinder as the mirror flips. You can safely do this with the back open, no film loaded of course!
Move the Mode dial (holding the white button down as you do) to "M", try firing the shutter. Same for "125X". Should fire again.
Now move the Mode dial all the way to the bottom, "B" position. Cock the shutter. Fire the shutter, holding it down. The curtain should stay open as long as you hold the shutter button down. Also, the viewfinder will stay blacked out. When you let the shutter button go, the curtain will close and the VF will open. Cycle complete.
Now, you have tried the shutter at the manual speeds (125 and B) and seen that it works. So far, so good!
With the batteries installed, you can set the shutter speed using the small black buttons to the left of the mode dial. Try different settings (L.E.D.s in the viewfinder, Mode dial on Auto) to see (hear) if they sound different, i.e 1/2000 should sound faster than 1/60, etc.).
Last, try this test with a lens installed. In Auto, when you change the shutter speed (but not the f/stop) the LED's should change, blink, indicating over/under exposure. Same thing as you change the f/stop without changing the shutter speed. Some indication that it's (now) the wrong exposure setting.
You can easily live without the self timer.
If you still have problems, or just want a good CLA (clean, lube, adjust) here's everyone's favorite Pentax repair site;
Home
Tell Eric I said "Hi!"
Ron
11-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Get the cheapest roll of film in town, shoot it thru all shutter speeds and have it developed at a cheapo drugstore.

Then check results for exposure etc.

11-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You guys are amazing! Thank you. It seems that the shutter and mirrors are not moving. So instead of using it as decor like my family wants I'll get her all fixed up.