Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #1

Using my K-r with Tamron 90mm

I just bought a Tamron 90mm f2.8 DI used, but from a reputable company with a 30 day warranty. It did not come with an instruction manual. The lens appears to be perfect and the aperture blades seem fine. In the camera's Manual Mode the lens appears to work perfectly, although the screen shows F-- when I choose an aperture on the lens and the EXIF data shows up as f0. All the other modes on the camera revert to Aperture Mode when this lens is on. But in Aperture Mode or any of the other modes, the camera seems to choose the aperture itself, rather than using the aperture I choose on the ring. It doesn't matter if I set it on f.28 or f32; it will usually use f2.8, although occasionally it has used f8. The screen shows F-- but the EXIF data show up whatever aperture the camera chose to use. Also when I set the aperture ring to "A" it will only use f32. I haven't had any trouble with the kit lenses on my camera, but I'm kind of a newb so any help you can give me would be appreciated. I don't live anywhere near a store that carries Pentax.

11-29-2012, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Is the aperture ring in the A position?
11-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
Well, I am glad you asked that question. That spurred me to go back and mess with the A setting. I thought it was just stuck at f32, but then I realized that you have to turn the dial to change the aperture. I didn't realize really what the A was for, not having any instructions and not being very techie, myself. Well, I feel like a dummy, but hey my problem is solved! Thanks so much! Now I can go enjoy my new lens!
11-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It is a very common mistake, I still do it sometimes if I've been using an A lens on my "dumb" extension tubes. So common of a mistake that I didn't even finish reading your post after I saw F--, I should have been explaining that the Pentax DSLRs lack the mechanical aperture feeler of the older film cameras and that the A setting is needed to be able to use all metering modes and that the aperture is set with the dial. In M mode, you can set the aperture on the K-r by holding down the exposure compensation button and turning the dial, the shutter speed is set by just turning the dial.

If you ever have a problem with F-- showing up and your lens is on the A setting you most likely have dirty contacts on the camera or lens mount.

Last edited by elliott; 11-29-2012 at 01:14 PM.
12-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
It is a very common mistake
Yep... First lens I had with an 'A' setting took me a couple of hours and this forum to work out what was going on... Then when I got my boy a *istDS did the exact same thing and thought the camera was busted... Didn't even think to check that it was set to 'A'; why whould it not be? (the answer is that 8 years olds change settings they don't understand in order to understand what the settings do)... Only after posting on the forum did I realise that I'm a complete idiot!!
12-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Yep... First lens I had with an 'A' setting took me a couple of hours and this forum to work out what was going on... Then when I got my boy a *istDS did the exact same thing and thought the camera was busted... Didn't even think to check that it was set to 'A'; why whould it not be? (the answer is that 8 years olds change settings they don't understand in order to understand what the settings do)... Only after posting on the forum did I realise that I'm a complete idiot!!
I hate it when that happens.

I've actually accidentally moved the ring off of A when putting on the lens, and spent 15 minutes thinking my lens was broken. Unfortunately the only way you ever get "smart" about this, is to have the "stupid" thing happen a few times so you start to recognize it.
12-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

On the plus - Joe now double checks his lenses (FA35-80 - F35-70 - FA80-200 & 'limited use' of my FA's28&50) are set to 'A' as he switches on... He's currently experimenting with Tv mode...