Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #1

Choosing the equipment for high-quality landscape photography

Hey everyone!

I'm dof and this is my first post on the forum.

First of all - to me, this forum has been a very helpful source for pretty much everything really. Now I have some hard decisions to make and I've been struggling with them for almost two weeks. I would like to ask your opinion about choosing some top notch equipment for landscape photography. I just can't make up my mind about choosing the camera and the lens, but forthe filter thing I've decided to go for Seven5 micro filter system, 100mm system or SW-150 filter holder by Lee with couple of ND filters.

Camera

So, I'm looking for a really good WA lens for landscape photography only (dim morning light and long exposure night shots). I'm also concidering the EOS 1D Mk3 over my Pentax K-5, simply because I want to be able to use the Nikon 14-24mm and some L-series lenses. Yes, Nikon glass on Canon, it is possible but you'll need an adapter. I just love that 14-24mm to death and it's razor sharp! Also, the camera body should be able to take some hits if I accidentally drop it. Never happened but just in case. I'm aware of the fact that the 1D Mk III is heavy as a horse and it may be a bit 'outdated' feature-wise compared to the K-5. I just love the whole thing and it's overall 'professional feel' in my hands. It also has an APS-H sensor which is a tad larger than APS-C. Not a great advantage though?

Lens

I love and prefer shooting wide angle. The only one I've got atm is the Samyang 14mm f2.8. It's pretty darn good for the price but quality-wise not quite there for my needs. The distortion is also quite noticeable but for me it hasn't been a problem though, thanks to the lens correction tools in PS and LR.

So, what do you think? should I -

1. keep the K-5 and get a Lee SW-150 filter holder for my Samyang 14mm (designed for Nikon 14-24 so some slight modifications may be required)

2. get a Pentax DA 12-24 and a Lee 100mm system with an adapter

3. get a Pentax DA 15 Limited and a screw-in filter (no Lee filter for this one because of the built in lens hood? Such a great lens, though)

4. get the EOS 1D Mk3 + Nikon 14-24 f2.8 (I'd get a good deal for this one)

5. get the EOS 5D Mk2+ Nikon 14-24 f2.8 (great, but I don't have enough money just yet)

Cheers!

11-29-2012, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If landscapes are your thing, I would sell all your gear excepting the Nikon 14-24mm lens, and then get a D800.
End of story.

M
11-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Using a modern Nikon lens that does not have an aperture ring on a Canon body with an adapter will not allow you to control aperture. I'm not sure which position a Nikon defaults to, but it will either be wide open or fully stopped down.
11-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Closed Account

None of this matters. You can make a good photograph with just about any modern lens and camera. Your desire to make a powerful image, to plan and think ahead, to leave a warm bed in the dark, to understand exposure and lighting ratios, that matters. Do you care about the story you're telling? The equipment is the lesser component of the artistic equation.

11-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The Samyang 14 should be as sharp as the Nikon 14-24, as is the Samyang 24. For APS-C, I like the Sigma 8-16 better than the Pentax lenses. I like the K-5 for landscape, but if were about to spend a bunch of money, I'd get a D800e and Samyang lenses.
11-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ponosby Britt Quote
None of this matters. You can make a good photograph with just about any modern lens and camera. Your desire to make a powerful image, to plan and think ahead, to leave a warm bed in the dark, to understand exposure and lighting ratios, that matters. Do you care about the story you're telling? The equipment is the lesser component of the artistic equation.
True, but in landscape, a little more detail is important,whatever the given level of expertise and artistic vision.
11-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
dof

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Using a modern Nikon lens that does not have an aperture ring on a Canon body with an adapter will not allow you to control aperture. I'm not sure which position a Nikon defaults to, but it will either be wide open or fully stopped down.
I should be possible to control the aperture using a Novoflex adapter. Check this out: Nikon G - Canon EOS Adapter

11-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
True, but in landscape, a little more detail is important,whatever the given level of expertise and artistic vision.
No it isn't. It's just detail.
11-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Is that so, junior member?
11-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some people tell stories with their photographs, others just like the aesthetics. I personally have never approached a shot with the concept of a story behind it. I aim to get the most pleasing image, and if someone wishes to read into the image then it's up to them.

I also find that shooting landscapes, detail is VERY HIGH on the list of importance as you look at the details through out the photo. This comes from good glass and decent resolution from the camera's sensor.
Your point about getting up early is widely accepted as an important part of getting good landscapes, but you might also learn that shooting in not so ideal lighting can still produce some excellent images. See Ansel Adams for examples.

So you shoot with a point and shoot or your phone camera, since detail is not important to you?

How long, or how many posts someone has on a forum is irrelevant but I do think he may have missed the mark (or just taken the most extreme view on the matter)

EDIT: Sorry for the tangent Dof, I think sticking with a nikon body for your 12-24 you will be more satisfied. The hassle of adapters is not really worth it, especially considering you will probably use it as a main lens.

Last edited by Chaos_Realm; 11-29-2012 at 06:57 PM.
11-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
If landscapes are your thing, I would sell all your gear excepting the Nikon 14-24mm lens, and then get a D800.
End of story.

M
Or D800E
11-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
So you shoot with a point and shoot or your phone camera, since detail is not important to you?
Nope. Too much detail, with the DoF of P&S sensors.

Neither did these guys in the Forum Exclusive Gallery. Not much detail but they made landscape images with impact. If detail is the criteria of a successful landscape image, you ought to protest their inclusion to the Forum Exclusive Gallery.

Days End! - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Black on orange - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Part of the River - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Autumn sunrise - Pentax User Photo Gallery

[langtitle=ru]Состояние[/langtitle] - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Harvest - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Clouds not on the sky - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Morning mist - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Unexpected Light - Pentax User Photo Gallery
11-29-2012, 09:49 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I shoot landscapes professionally and must say that good equipment is only a benefit if one is able to take advantage of its benefits. Talent is of paramount importance. A great photo is great whether it was taken with a Kx, 645D or a 5x7. One of the best shots I have ever seen was from 35mm film (Kitt Peak Observatory with lightning- Arizona Highways). The equipment is secondary to the photographer's ability.

Last edited by desertscape; 11-29-2012 at 10:02 PM.
11-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Nope. Too much detail, with the DoF of P&S sensors.

Neither did these guys in the Forum Exclusive Gallery. Not much detail but they made landscape images with impact. If detail is the criteria of a successful landscape image, you ought to protest their inclusion to the Forum Exclusive Gallery.

Days End! - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Black on orange - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Part of the River - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Autumn sunrise - Pentax User Photo Gallery

[langtitle=ru]Состояние[/langtitle] - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Harvest - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Clouds not on the sky - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Morning mist - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Unexpected Light - Pentax User Photo Gallery
11-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
Closed Account

Yes. Sharp may help convey the nature of an image or suppressing it may be a better choice, depending on the the idea you are trying to communicate. Not all music is crescendo and if it were, it would get old quickly.