Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #1

Need help with new to me camera 6x7

Hello all, I got my hands on a Pentax 6x7 camera (free). I'm trying to figure out if it works or not. Here are my problems/questions.

* I've pressed the battery check button and the red light comes on, when I roll the on/off switch to on how do I know its on? (its just the body, no lens on right now)

*I cant open the back of it. I turn the lock tab and pull down but it does not open, Am I missing a release lever some where?

*The film advance lever does not move nor does the (picture button) does not press down.

Thanks in advance for your help.

11-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Notplayn Quote
I've pressed the battery check button and the red light comes on, when I roll the on/off switch to on how do I know its on? (its just the body, no lens on right now)
ON/OFF? We are talking a 6X7? If the camera is in good shape, the check light will indicate that power is available to the magnet when you shoot. The only way to check is to put the camera in a "dry-fire" mode... to trick the shutter to become active without film.

To go into dry fire... while film door is open (when you get it open), use the thumb dial on the frame counter... push it down and turn to select a number of greater than zero and hold it there while closing the door. If the number stays as selected, the camera is in gear and can now be "cranked" to ready the shutter.

*I cant open the back of it. I turn the lock tab and pull down but it does not open, Am I missing a release lever some where?
It sounds like you are looking in the right place, however, over time the foam might have decayed and you'll need to pull on the door a little. The thin metal flange that rests against the lock assembly should be gently pried while pulling down on the release tab.

*The film advance lever does not move nor does the (picture button) does not press down.
If you have no film in the camera, a prevent mechanism will keep the shutter and advance disengaged. Also the release button has a lock that either points to white or red.
11-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the response. I found an owners manual on line and figured everything out. The on/off is on something called a pentaprism finder which I thought was part of the camera.
I found the button lock and figured it out. I figured out how to open the back also. I found the little metal tab that you are suppose to pull down on. I was pulling down on the film tab retainer
knob. Also apparently it does have film in it but no lens.
11-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Are you hunting for a lens and you have a prism finder or metered prism finder?

11-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
I maybe looking in the future. I have a big ol 800mm that came with it. How can I tell if its metered or not?
11-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

I have a big ol 800mm that came with it.
Pardon my words, but... HOLY CRAP YOU LUCKY B!!!!!!

How can I tell if its metered or not?
So... the meter prism is the one with the "ON/OFF" lever and it did seem you meant that earlier. Normally the contacts that link the body to the prism can get oxidized and need some cleaning. It is hard to activate the meter without a lens, but if you observe the lens release pin and notice the pin inside the pin... that smaller pin is the "MANUAL" meter mode switch. If you hold it down and activate the meter and aim at a light source, you should see some action.
11-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
Giveaway winner!

Oh... 800 as in Super-Takumar or Super-Multi-Coated

or

800 ED IF (in white)?

11-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #8

Original Poster
SMC Pentax-M 67 1:6.7 800mm ED(if) white (kinda grey looking) 8-)
11-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Giveaway winner!

...Pentax-M 67 1:6.7 800mm ED(if...
You got that for free! Wow!

I myself wished for a 6x7 600mm, but for $1000... you are lucky to land one.