Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
The K 5 is in the cart but?

Hello, I am getting ready to purchase the K-5 which will be an upgrade from my Kx. I started reading reviews and also post hear in the forum. I then became a little overwhelmed and want to make sure that I am making the right choice for what I photograph. I am new to the field and my knowledge is limited so thus the question.
I photograph insects, wildlife, macro and illustrative work. I have captured insects in flight and that is why the K 5 became a choice. The video issues don't concern me. Is there any issues that I should be concerned with such as lens or firm ware etc before I commit? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you and happy shooting!

Best Regards,

Wendy

11-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You can't go wrong with K-5.
I'm using it for the same things as you do and I have no complains!
11-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own both the K-x and K-5. The K-5 is a serious upgrade from your K-x and at its current price is a steal. I think you'll be very happy with it.
11-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently got a K-5 (and have a K-x). As the others have said, its a big step up.

I would imagine that a number of the K-5 features would be useful for what you want to do. I am finding that it performs better than the k-x in all regards. Sure its a little bit bigger and is heavier but not enough to be a problem (in fact the handling is better than the K-x). At pixel level high ISO seems pretty similar to my K-x (which is a good thing) but theres more image detail to work with (so can achieve better results from what I'm seeing).

I'm ecstatic with mine (especially for the money!).

11-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

You won't grow out of the K-5 for many many years to come. It's the digital APS-C with the performance and user interface to quell BBA (body buying addiction). You'll find it a pleasantly fulfilling experience coming from the K-x, the only 'disadvantage' being the added weight of the camera body.
11-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for the quick response. I am making the purchase and feel comfortable that this will be a great choice!

Cheers!