Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do I?

Afternoon people,
I come to you as I stand at the cross roads, however still considering myself a beginner ill post here
(Ill also assume that this question has been asked before and I couldn't find it in search, so feel free to just point me in the right direction )

As it currently stands I have my K7 and a healthy collection of lenses. However the more I shoot with it, the more I'm disappointed with its low light abilities, especially compared to my mates k5 (grass is always greener etc)
Now that we have the new, slightly warmed over K5-II, I'm starting to consider my options. Do I take the chance to pick up a reduced or pre-loved K5, or perhaps go the whole hog and look at a new K5-II? (Seeing as the K3 looks like it may never appear (I kid, I kid)).
I'm torn, I'm torn....

11-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The only advantage I can see of the K-5ii over the original is the better low-light autofocus, but of course tracking remains the same on both models. If anything, the anti-dust lcd screen is not worth that much more. So better low light AF or already decent enough low light AF. I have no problems with low light AF on my K-5, unless it's dark where there's little light of course. The only option I can see picking a K-5ii over the K-5 is if it's a "s" model such as the k-5iis having no anti-aliasing filter on it.
11-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
Afternoon people,
I come to you as I stand at the cross roads, however still considering myself a beginner ill post here
(Ill also assume that this question has been asked before and I couldn't find it in search, so feel free to just point me in the right direction )

As it currently stands I have my K7 and a healthy collection of lenses. However the more I shoot with it, the more I'm disappointed with its low light abilities, especially compared to my mates k5 (grass is always greener etc)
Now that we have the new, slightly warmed over K5-II, I'm starting to consider my options. Do I take the chance to pick up a reduced or pre-loved K5, or perhaps go the whole hog and look at a new K5-II? (Seeing as the K3 looks like it may never appear (I kid, I kid)).
I'm torn, I'm torn....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Smoke signals.
Go with the K-5 classic and get yourself a nice prime lens as a bonus, rather than going for the II

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had my K5 for about a year now and it is a significant upgrade over the K20 (same sensor as your K7). For me it has been rock solid, to the point that I am very happy to stay with it for as long as possible. With that, I agree with Adam - the original K5 - plus you can't beat the price.

Now, there is this other thread, essentially a photographer who was comparing the K5 to the K5IIs. I have been reading a lot out of just plain interest - not lusting after any more gear at all, but there is an undertone about the IIs where the difference is difficult to quantify (at least so far), but a positive difference. Its really up to the photographer to make the judgement as to if the difference is significant for their intended use. Here is the thread....Between the two, I doubt that you can go wrong, and the current price on the K5 is really excellent.

11-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Your budget could make the decision...
Tight budget, go with K-5.
Unlimited budget, go with K-5 IIs.
Also, if you have lots of older lenses (manual focus era), I'd suggest sticking with K-5.
11-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

First, anyone without some decent lenses should be lens shopping not body shopping. But since you have lenses...

Waiting always has some advantage. Either the price will fall on the current model with known fabulous features, or a new model will come out that's even better in ways you can't even imagine. I mean, the Canon T4i has a touch screen interface. Imagine how many shots you could accidentally take with your nose! The slight downside is the newest cameras are expensive for a while. You know you can buy quickly and pay 30% more than waiting 6-8 months. I think waiting a couple of generations is better and the IIs doesn't count as a whole generation.

The possibility of a larger sensor complicates the equatiion a little. But if that happens, you can choose between the flood of used APS-C cameras or the costly larger format plus new lenses.
11-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
However the more I shoot with it, the more I'm disappointed with its low light abilities, especially compared to my mates k5 (grass is always greener etc)
All I can say is that the low light abilities of my K-5 IIs are really, really good. With a fast prime, It took me by surprise the first time I shot indoors in low light.

Highly recommended.

Silly Example at around midnight in a room with 2 fairly dim floorlamps.
ISO 3200

12-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I made the mistake of wondering into Teds today. (You can see where this is going, can't you?)
They had ONE k5 left. Display stock, less than 200 actuations*. Still with full warranty etc. $798.
Done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Smoke signals.

*Just ran Adams utility..... Shutter Count: 47

Last edited by Lurch; 12-01-2012 at 11:40 PM.
12-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congrats, welcome to the club! You'll love it.