Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #1

Shutter goes off when any button pressed

I have K-m/K2000. Today the shutter started going off no matter what button I press. Info button, menu button, turning power off, turning power on,changing mode dial. Any button, the shutter clicks. It doesn't take a picture. Changed lenses and the same happens, even with no lens on camera. I can still view photos taken, and change settings, but every time I press ANY button the shutter closes (I think its closing). When camera is idle, you cant see thru the view finder due to the shutter being closed.

I am NOT an advanced user, so any advice is appreciated, especially if its in "for Dummies" mode. :-)

12-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. I placed your thread in the General Technical Troubleshooting Forum rather than the introduction forum.
12-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Welcome to the forum. I placed your thread in the General Technical Troubleshooting Forum rather than the introduction forum.
thanks. This stuff is all new to me. Never been on a forum...
12-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Diane,
This may not solve your issue but in some cases this has worked to clear similar problems.
With the camera off repeatedly press the shutter button firmly all the way down and release. Do this 20 - 30 times. Then check to see if that cleared it. In some cases the shutter button has gotten 'stuck' partially down possibly because of a small amount of grit in mechanism. I had a similar problem with a k-x and this fixed it right up.

If that does not help you may have to send it in for service.

12-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum. If jatrax's suggestion does not work, remove the batteries, wait a couple of minutes and then put them back in and see if this clears the problem. If not, then servicing.

12-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
Do luck. :-( I don't know if I can part with my baby... I am gonna hafta use a point and shoot or my FILM camera for the holidays ICK!!!!
Thanks for the advice.
12-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #7

Original Poster
So get this... for the heck of it I swapped out batteries. I have 2 sets of rechargeables that I rotate in and out. But other set of batteries in it and it is fine! Go figure. So far so good. Thought you guys my find that useful when helping others...