Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Back up sd card pictures to Android phone on the field?

Is it possible?

12-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is if the phone has an sd card slot.

My phone has no external card slot at all so it doesn't work. However, I also have an ASUS T700 tablet that has a full SD card slot in the optional keyboard. It also has a usb port that will work with an external hard drive. That's all I took with me on vacation last month. Over 50gb of pictures backed up to the tablet and to the external drive using the tablet. The standard file program worked just fine to move things over. I did have to add a image viewer that could read RAW files in order to look at the images while on the road but all in all it worked quite well.

So if your phone has the slot no reason why it won't work.
12-02-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was wondering if there is an adaptor sd reader to mini Usb?
12-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AFAIK, no. However they do make something called USB OTG cables. Look here: Amazon.com: mini usb otg cable: Electronics

Not sure if your phone has the drivers to make this work but one of these cables plus a usb card reader MIGHT work.

12-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
It is if the phone has an sd card slot.

My phone has no external card slot at all so it doesn't work. However, I also have an ASUS T700 tablet that has a full SD card slot in the optional keyboard. It also has a usb port that will work with an external hard drive. That's all I took with me on vacation last month. Over 50gb of pictures backed up to the tablet and to the external drive using the tablet. The standard file program worked just fine to move things over. I did have to add a image viewer that could read RAW files in order to look at the images while on the road but all in all it worked quite well.

So if your phone has the slot no reason why it won't work.
Just shortly intruding on this thread: I have the same ASUS tablet with the optional keyboard .... great little gadget!!

As of interest: what image viewer for the RAW files did you add ? I have found many available out there on Play Store but I am not sure which one will do a decent job AND not crash !

Cheers!

JP
12-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@jpzk I tried several and finally settled on RawPal Gallery. Certainly not perfect but it worked for me to be able to display the RAWs. Some of the others had features I liked but were either too slow or crashed. RawPal does not do a lot but what it does it does well. Shows the RAWs as well as basic EXIF info and has good export functions. No editing at all but that is fine with me I did not want to edit.

I use DNG and it works well, it states that it supports Pentax RAW as well.
12-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@jpzk I tried several and finally settled on RawPal Gallery. Certainly not perfect but it worked for me to be able to display the RAWs. Some of the others had features I liked but were either too slow or crashed. RawPal does not do a lot but what it does it does well. Shows the RAWs as well as basic EXIF info and has good export functions. No editing at all but that is fine with me I did not want to edit.

Thanks jatrax !

So I'll go and browse this right away.
I don't need photo editing either on the ASUS tablet ... just a convenient way to see the RAW images and being able to export them to the PC/laptop.
I also use DNG on my k5 and K7.

Cheers!

JP
12-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys.. Hopefully the next generation of Pentax DSLR is kind enough to include a WIFI for file transfer as well as using our smart phone as LCD screen.

12-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks for the heads up on the app. I'm considering a tablet, the Nexus 10 with the 2560 x 1600 display and have been wondering about RAW photos. There is enormous potential with these tablets once the developers get off their butts and offer some serious editing and display apps. They don't get the idea that some people use other cameras instead of the built in one.

There are cable adapters that will adapt a standard usb to micro and mini. I have a solar charger that came with a whole bag of adapters. My card reader has a mini USB on the reader and standard USB to plug into the computer. I have never tried to upload photos to the phone that way but it should be possible. You may need some software for your phone. Raw photos are huge files and it won't take many to fill up a phone so a bigger memory card for the phone might be in order. JPEG's should be ok. Most phone cameras are 8 mega pixels now.
06-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #10

There is an application to make back up photos/video clips/voice recordings to Android phone or tablet. SeriousTraveller · Home The OTG cable is needed. You can even make a mirror backup internal memory + SD card