Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Family Portrait Using Remote/K-7

I'm not a beginner photographer, but I am new at using the tiny Pentax remote for taking family portraits on my K-7, and I was frustrated with it this morning.
I was using my DA70, so we were a good 15 feet from the camera, which was about 5 feet too far for my remote. Perhaps the batteries are a little old.
After stretching out my arm to trigger the camera with my remote, the rapid fire pictures began (so have about 10 pictures with my outstretched arm), and then the K-7 proceeded to capture about 1 picture a second (RAW format).
We stood and smiled, and then I returned to my camera, which was still dutifully clicking once per second. I couldn't figure out how to make it stop, so I turned the camera off.
After three tries, we had some keepers, but it seems that the process should have been easier.
Can anyone offer advice for this kind of setup?
Thank you!

12-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Try to turn off these features

Depends on the speed of your SD Card, it can take the camera up to half second to write a single RAW+ file. Therefore, I use only Class 10 cards in dSLR now. Also, I use only centre point AF (or MF) and turn off the following features to cut time in continueous shooting:

LCD review
IS
All lens correction

I remember my K7 will only shot ~ 7 frames maximum before "blacking out" to process the buffered images, and it will not response to any input during that 5-12 seconds. Sounds like you have set the Interval Shooting feature at 1 sec @ for ? frames as well.

Last edited by MJL; 12-01-2012 at 11:14 PM.
12-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you're having trouble with the remote, why not just use the 12 second self-timer? You'll have plenty of time to get into the picture after pressing the shutter.
12-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Self Timer Question

Hi MPrince,
I considered using the timer, but I couldn't figure out how to trigger "continuous" shooting after the 12 seconds. Is there a way to do that?
Also, how do you properly stop continuous shooting (however it is triggered)?

12-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by harmonica2 Quote
how do you properly stop continuous shooting
Press the trigger button again on the remote.