Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Well.... with the caviate that unless both the flash and the fill are the same color, it is almost impossible to achieve the proper white balance - unless of course you WANT the effect of two different color temps / casts.

For example, I've watched several pros working banquets put gels over their flash to match them to the color of the ambient lighting (typically tungsten) for just this reason.
I thought that goes without saying ...

12-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I thought that goes without saying ...
Perhaps you didn't remember that this is the Beginner's Corner and that many beginners simply wouldn't know that even minor differences in color temp or cast can be a real beast in key/fill lighting setups? I suppose they could learn the hardway, but if a fellow photographer bothers to ask the question, I feel it would be a disservice to simply tell them 'yeah sure, you can mix lighting types' without also giving them the limitations.
12-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Perhaps you didn't remember that this is the Beginner's Corner and that many beginners simply wouldn't know that even minor differences in color temp or cast can be a real beast in key/fill lighting setups? I suppose they could learn the hardway, but if a fellow photographer bothers to ask the question, I feel it would be a disservice to simply tell them 'yeah sure, you can mix lighting types' without also giving them the limitations.
OK ... I stand corrected than ... sorry for the mistake ... :|
12-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Okay, this is my final question I promise.

Here's the original stand I had listed.
Amazon.com: CowboyStudio Single Flash Shoe Swivel Bracket Kit with 1 Mounting Bracket, 1 Umbrella, and 1 Stand Stand: Camera & Photo

I also found a stand on amazon for the same price of the one above, but it comes with 3 umbrellas instead of one.
Amazon.com: Photography Photo Studio Flash Mount Umbrellas Kit Three Umbrellas By Fancier Fan UB1: Camera & Photo

The stand/head looks a bit cheaper than the one I originally listed, but it comes with two extra umbrellas. What do you guys think?

12-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I would go for the 3 umbrellas set-up. Personally, I've worked with that type of lock and never had problems.
12-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #36

Original Poster
awesome, thanks again sir. I've got everything in my amazon cart now, and will have everything on it's way by Thursday. I'm really excited to play around with it all. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to post after the weekend I've been reading up on some light painting techniques and am excited to test that out as well.

Last edited by csmoore; 12-12-2012 at 02:17 PM.
12-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Don't forget to come back and show us your work .

12-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #38

Here's a portable soft box that seems to get good reviews.
12-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #39

Original Poster
So I just found the tamyang 8mm fisheye for $220...why are there so many temptations?!?!