Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #1

High Temp Sensor

does anyone experienced shooting continously while your camera is displaying a high temp sensor alert on the LCD?.is it safe?thanks

12-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't think it's safe.
12-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums.
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Don't think it's safe.
Agree... If there's a warning I would definitely stop shooting!
This never happened to me though. What camera are you using and in what conditions?
12-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
Welcome to the forums.

Agree... If there's a warning I would definitely stop shooting!
This never happened to me though. What camera are you using and in what conditions?
my camera is pentax kx. i used it at an evening party in a low light situation.
i actually used it for more than 20 min even there is a high temp warning on the lcd. thankfully it is still working. but im just wondering if anyone already had some issues on this high temp warning.
thanks!

12-07-2012, 04:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used a K-x for two years or a bit more, never had this warning. I would think if it shows a temp warning, I wouldn't be able to shut it off quick enough. I also don't think I've seen any threads here about it, so it apparently is not a common issue.

Were you using the LCD monitor a lot, like shooting constantly in Live View? Or showing most of the pictures to other party goers as they were taken? That would make the LCD warm up, rather than sensor it seems, though it may have an affect, not sure. I've used the K-x in 105° temps for 4 hours or more at a time, never had this warning pop up. And I review my shots a lot. If it happens again I'd think the best thing to do is shut the camera off as soon as possible and let it cool. Then think about having it checked out. If this happens more than once, I would suspect a problem.

Seems to me this would be the same as a computer heat problem...not good. In nearly 15 years of computer repair I've seen quite a few with heat problems, it can zap components in a hurry. If this is a recurring problem, have it checked out.
12-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sensor heating can be a problem with live view, and somewhat with long exposures where the sensor is active for long periods. I'd expect the warning is based on an estimation of sensor temperature, possibly by monitoring the drive voltage/current. Were you using live view constantly?
12-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You will get the temp sensor warning if you shoot video for 15 minutes or more, continuously, on the k-x. Turning the cam off and letting it rest for a few minutes is sufficient to get rid of it for the next 15 minutes or so. I didn't shoot much further beyond the warning point, but I do know that noise becomes quite apparent if you keep it up.

12-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #8

k-5 and live view in the sun for more than 15 minutes, the high temp alert apears, after a while the camera automaticaly stops live view. it was hot, i switched it off for a couple of minutes until it cooled down, all good.
12-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The manuals say shut it off.
12-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #10

Original Poster
thanks to all of you guys.im using it for shooting video..im just wondering if anyone had already experienced a kx being toast due to this issue of hight temp warning.thanks for the reply guys!