Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Is pk tether focus adjust global ?

Really confused by pk tether debug mode focus adjust. Firstly it's only in the last few weeks that I've noticed my 3 primes needed some major re-callibration on a 4 month old K5.
So in regular user accessible focus adjust I had my 35 limited at 0, fa50 1.4 at +6 and fa 77 at +10.
Now either that was wrong or something has shifted or I've grown more critical and technically better at focus testing. So as of today the 35 is at +8, the 50 at +10 and the 77 weirdly dropped down to +6.

And the 35 at infinity seems to be sharper at +10 so considering that this lens and the 50 might need more I put the k5 in debug mode using pk tether and added +1 in the service mode.
My understanding is that this now means my zero point in regular adjust is now +10. Ergo +1 will be equivalent to + 11.

So I was very surprised that my 35 still needed +8.

Therefore my queries are is this due to disabling debug immediately after I shifted the focus adjust +1 ? My understanding is I have to turn off debug after the adjustment.
And is debug focus adjust global ? For all lenses ? Or does it recognise to only affect the lens that was mounted when it was activated ?

12-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What? Sorry, i couldn't really understand some parts of what you said.
A couple of things you should remember :
1 - In debug mode, your adjustment are in a scale 10x smaller than in the menu. A +10 adjustment in the K-5 menu is a +100um adjustment in debug
2 - Yes, debug adjustment is global. It changes the zero point.
3 - You dont have to turn the debug off after the adjustment, but you can (and maybe should)
I think the first consideration is what will solve your problem...
12-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Not clear ? Oh okay...... So it's global, I understand that now. But I can't get my head round your first answer. How is +100 10x smaller than +10 ?

I'll make it simple. In normal adjust if my 35mm has + 8 then I debug the base value to +1 then maintain the + 8 in normal am I now at +18 ?
12-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The scale is 10x smaller, so you have to multiply the value by 10.
If you want a +10 adjustment, you need to input +100um in debug mode.
The scale is 10x smaller, therefore the value has to be 10x bigger to match. (i'm not sure if i'm saying this the right way..if i'm not, forgive me, English is not my main language)
No. If you put the debug adjustment to +1 while you have +8 set in your menu, then you'll have a +8,1 adjustment.
To get to +18 you need to input +8 in camera "AF Fine adjusment" menu and +100 in debug.