Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

having trouble with greens looking blue

how do i adjust the settings in camera to have true color ? most if not all of the time, if something is greenish blue, the color of the image shows it to be too blue, i've tried white balance, saturation and hue settings, natural , bright, vibrant , etc.

12-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
White balance should take care of it, what kind of lighting are you shooting with?
12-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
have tried the different settings in pentax camera utility for white balance, different kelvin temperatures too in that section, but can't really get the actual color right , if it gets close then something else goes out of whack , the lighting in the last case was under those curly fluorescent energy saving bulbs which i hate anyway, but interior lighting at night, another time it was under a halogen type floodlight. those are the most recent anyway. thanks.
12-09-2012, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everybody should start with some kind of monitor calibration. If the monitor is off, it's going to throw everything else off. I just have to satisfy myself so my calibration just uses the software that came with my monitors. Then I make sure prints look the same as the screen versions. There are all kinds of ways to calibrate monitors.

White balance is the next step. If adjusting it afterwards doesn't work, set a custom white balance under the lighting you're shooting with in advance.

You can catch fluorescent lighting changing colors or other weird stuff with a fast shutter speed and bad luck. Tungsten and halogen shouldn't do that. LED is peculiar in other ways.

My last thought is that overexposing one channel on the sensor can cause colors to be strange, especially when you try to adjust exposure. When this happens, the values for red or blue (not usually green) are at the maximum possible number, and they are stuck there. If you reduce exposure when processing, those pixels stick at that maximum brightness while the values for other pixels decline like you expect. Then the image has unnatural bright solid color blobs on it.

12-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Please post a sample image. We need to see what you're seeing.
12-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Everybody should start with some kind of monitor calibration. If the monitor is off, it's going to throw everything else off. I just have to satisfy myself so my calibration just uses the software that came with my monitors. Then I make sure prints look the same as the screen versions. There are all kinds of ways to calibrate monitors.

White balance is the next step. If adjusting it afterwards doesn't work, set a custom white balance under the lighting you're shooting with in advance.

You can catch fluorescent lighting changing colors or other weird stuff with a fast shutter speed and bad luck. Tungsten and halogen shouldn't do that. LED is peculiar in other ways.

My last thought is that overexposing one channel on the sensor can cause colors to be strange, especially when you try to adjust exposure. When this happens, the values for red or blue (not usually green) are at the maximum possible number, and they are stuck there. If you reduce exposure when processing, those pixels stick at that maximum brightness while the values for other pixels decline like you expect. Then the image has unnatural bright solid color blobs on it.
+1 for the monitor calibration. If you shoot in RAW, you should be able to easily adjust the white balance to get things pretty close. If the monitor is off, then it is never going to look right. If you adjust your photos in Photoshop or Lightroom to a poor monitor, then the shots will look off to everybody else and your prints will be off color too. Some artificial light can cause some strange color casts that are hard to deal with. Lightroom 4 has the option of using a brush adjustment to correct white balance in just one portion of a shot, a handy feature for those new fangled lights you hate.
12-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
i'm positive it's not my monitor being off; not sure how i would post pictures of the color blues and greens being off on here, and am wondering if it could be the older lenses , k lenses i've been using ? happens though inconsistently.
12-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter

It's a mystery to me how we're supposed to offer useful feedback if you won't post sample images so that we can see what you're seeing.

12-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I agree we need to see what you're getting, to be able to go much further.

I saw the same thing with my K 30 the first few shots, every one of the first dozen shots or so had a blue tint, all taken outside. It's set on auto white balance out of the box. I tried Daylight, since I was shooting in clear blue sky daylight, and it worked fine. I know it was not a monitor issue in my case, since I have thousands of pictures taken with the K-x to compare to.

In your case, if you're sure your monitor is not the cause, we need to see what you are seeing if white balance settings are not doing the trick.
12-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
regarding monitor calibration...
DON'T trust your eyes when it comes to monitors. Your brain lies to you. Even using some of the software only monitor calibration tools - your brain lies to you.

My desk has a pair of 22 inch LED backlighted 1080p monitors that came with OEM supplied ICC profiles. That's unusual right there as most manufacturers just rely on Microsoft's generic color profile under Windows 7. And those profiles were a big improvement over Win7. Software calibration tools said I was THERE, and frankly I thought they looked really good. For what it's worth, lighting at my desk is 6500K florescent or actual daylight or none.

BUT..... I just could not seem to get RAW images where I wanted them.

I just acquired a Huey Pro ... like many who have complained, my monitors took on a slight magenta cast after calibration and using the advanced controls to make tweaks suggested by Pantone/X-rite. But guess what? Images from my K-r, both RAW and jpeg look better. It is much easier to get what I want when processing RAW, AND the acid test ... what I see on my screen is very close to what comes off both my printer and the printer at Walmart's photo kiosk.

And after about a week, my brain has mostly tuned out the slight magenta cast. In fact, my other LCD screens now all look wrong. How did I start this message? Your brain lies to you. Don't claim your monitor really is properly calibrated unless you have used some kind of tool to verify that.
12-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for the replies, i'll try to put up a couple pictures this weekend.