Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #1

pentax K-x: can't locate videos

Suddenly my camera will not record videos onto the memory disc. Single shots yes, but videos no. The camera still holds them and I can see them as playback but when I offer the disc to my computer there is nothing showing. I have done videos before but must have stuffed up something. anyone got an idea. The batteries are fully charged and showing green on the indicator.

12-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are they in a different folder perhaps? If you can see them in the camera, they're definitely on the card.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter

If I understand you correctly you can take video and replay it but then your computer does not see it?

Try formatting the card in the camera. Or try a different card if you have one. Make sure the video is not being put into a sub-directory on the card. Check that your computer can read the video format the camera uses.
12-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are they in a different folder perhaps? If you can see them in the camera, they're definitely on the card.
Thanks, Thats logic so I suppose the problem must be in the computer rather than the camera. Will look for other programs to read the card.

12-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Remember, the videos recorded by the camera are .AVI files - ie they will have a .AVI extension. So look for any .AVI files on your SD card, and make sure you copy those to your PC as well.

And make sure whatever you are using to browse your files is showing you everything. Some graphics viewers may only look for .JPG and similar still image format files, not video files.

If you continue to have problems finding image and video files, why don't you just download and install Google's Picasa:

Picasa

Once installed it will automatically find all your existing image files and K-x videos wherever you have copied them and organise them for you. It also plays K-x videos very well. You can even let Picasa automatically manage the transfer of your images and videos from the SD card to the PC once you put the SD card into your card reader.
12-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I mainly use FastStone to view my images but it does not read the videos (they won't even show up in FastStone) that I move from the card to my computer. On the other hand, Windows Media Player does, and so does Irfanview, a free photo editor.
12-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Remember, the videos recorded by the camera are .AVI files - ie they will have a .AVI extension. So look for any .AVI files on your SD card, and make sure you copy those to your PC as well.

And make sure whatever you are using to browse your files is showing you everything. Some graphics viewers may only look for .JPG and similar still image format files, not video files.

If you continue to have problems finding image and video files, why don't you just download and install Google's Picasa:

Picasa

Once installed it will automatically find all your existing image files and K-x videos wherever you have copied them and organise them for you. It also plays K-x videos very well. You can even let Picasa automatically manage the transfer of your images and videos from the SD card to the PC once you put the SD card into your card reader.
I already have Picassa but I dont think it downloads pix from the camera card. I find it a very useful programme but made a mistake upgrading a while ago and got an extra nonsensical part called 'faces' which I've been trying to dump!
12-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I mainly use FastStone to view my images but it does not read the videos (they won't even show up in FastStone) that I move from the card to my computer. On the other hand, Windows Media Player does, and so does Irfanview, a free photo editor.
Thanks, have downloaded that prog and it works, so I now have a means of moving vids to the computer.

12-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter

You're welcome! Glad you have it sorted now and can view your vids. As for Windows Media Player not seeing them, that may be a codec issue. You can install the necessary codec that will alow windows to see your videos too. Just download the basic package, that should be all you need.
12-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If I understand you correctly you can take video and replay it but then your computer does not see it?

Try formatting the card in the camera. Or try a different card if you have one. Make sure the video is not being put into a sub-directory on the card. Check that your computer can read the video format the camera uses.
Formatted card as you suggested, tried to reload the zoom browser but it said that the program was already on the computer. Did some more playing around and then tried it all out and to my surprise the videos were now in the files again. Think it must have been the card formatting that did it!! Thanks