Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Problem updating firmware

I've done this before on my other pentax cameras with no problems but this is baffling me. I went to update the firmware on my old DS so I could use hcsd cards. Downloaded the firmware. Double clicked on the self extracting exe file. That brought up a window that says install directory winsfx32m. I clicked ok on that and the window disappeared without opening or giving me the folder I actually need to copy to my sd card. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong. I use windows vista

12-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Download folder

Robert. It has been a while but I think when I did this for the K5 the download unzipped and placed the file for the camera and the read me in the Download folder. If you saved it somewhere else then I would have no idea but thats the first place i would look.
Good luck
12-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I don't know why they insist on those self extracting .exe files. On the newer cameras it is simpler to just go for the Mac version, it is just a zip file with the .bin in it, but on the older cameras they did that weird .hqx file.

I could repackage it into a .zip file if it still won't work for you.
12-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
I've done this before on my other pentax cameras with no problems but this is baffling me. I went to update the firmware on my old DS so I could use hcsd cards. Downloaded the firmware. Double clicked on the self extracting exe file. That brought up a window that says install directory winsfx32m. I clicked ok on that and the window disappeared without opening or giving me the folder I actually need to copy to my sd card. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong. I use windows vista
I would also suggest just grabbing the zip and manually copying the .bin file.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see no way of having it downloaded as a zip file. It comes downloaded as an exe file
12-10-2012, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Here is a .zip file of the *istDS firmware, Pentax only offers it as a .exe and an .hqx for Mac.

Just extract it and put it in the root directory of your SD card.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FWDC131B.BIN.zip (887.1 KB, 43 views)
12-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Here is a .zip file of the *istDS firmware, Pentax only offers it as a .exe and an .hqx for Mac.

Just extract it and put it in the root directory of your SD card.
That worked like a charm. Thank you very much.

12-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I suspect that your original problem was that the self-extracting zip file did, in fact, extract the file properly. It just put it in a folder somewhere you didn't expect. Do a search for the filename on your entire hard drive. I'll bet you find two copies; the one you just extracted manually, and the one that the self-extractor did.

Self-extracting zip files are used because, prior to Windows XP, you had to download PKZIP or buy WinZIP, in order to process zip files. In Windows XP and later versions, Microsoft licensed the zip file technolocy and included it in Windows Explorer. Self-extracting zip files, on the other hand, require no non-standard software. Everything needed to process the zip file is included in the .exe file.