Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oily aperture Da* 300/4?

Have anyone here encountered oily aperture blades on their Da* 300/4? I know that my brother told me a while ago that my almost new had a very slightly shift from a perfectly round aperture when stopped down but it was so slight that I didn't really care. Yesterday I noticed that it looked way worse, almost this shape if you understand: <o
When stopping down with the lever I can see something that looks like a sticky tiny spot on one of the blades which seems to misshape the aperture. It doesn't look like the pics of oily apertures on Google as it is more like a drop of glue than a wet area. I can try to get pics if you want?

I'm a bit bummed by this as it is my second copy as first one from Amazon looked abused and was scratched on rear element and quite dirty. I already waited months (first was months of wait only to get returned when it finally arrived) so I'm not really keen on being without it again. At least the repair center here in Sweden is a great one in my experience and not far away and I'm certain this is a warranty service but I'm still bummed out with my saga with the DA300mm.

12-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You must have gotten the two bad copies ever produced. The first, which you returned, was no doubt smashed into tiny bits, made into an ash tray, eaten by a rock and roll band's singer, and thrown up into a dumpster later that night, from which it was taken to an incinerator to prove it never happened.
12-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
You must have gotten the two bad copies ever produced. The first, which you returned, was no doubt smashed into tiny bits, made into an ash tray, eaten by a rock and roll band's singer, and thrown up into a dumpster later that night, from which it was taken to an incinerator to prove it never happened.
If only the first part was true, but reading on the forums it isn't. Though the lens got a pretty good track record, I'm a bit unlucky I guess.

Now it seems to stop down to another (better) shape than yesterday, temperature may affect it. At least all blades lined up so no "<O" shape
Attachment 151255

And can you see the spot? I need three hands for this kind of shooting...
Attachment 151256

Last edited by VisualDarkness; 01-09-2015 at 06:56 PM.
12-13-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Does it have the slightest impact on image quality?

If yes, return it for service.
If no, don't worry about it.

12-13-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Sounds to me like a common case of Buyer's Remorse. If so, no big deal, we all get it... I get it (almost every day )... It's just part of human nature.

The DA 300/4 has a learning curve and in some cases needs to be 'dialed in' by your camera to get optimum results. Use the lens for (say) six months and if you still have not found its sweet spot, send it in along with your camera for an evaluation/alignment/repair by a service center.

Until then, enjoy the season...M
12-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Does it have the slightest impact on image quality?

If yes, return it for service.
If no, don't worry about it.
No, not really. I'm more worried about it for the future as I've seen it actually affecting the aperture.
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Sounds to me like a common case of Buyer's Remorse. If so, no big deal, we all get it... I get it (almost every day )... It's just part of human nature.

The DA 300/4 has a learning curve and in some cases needs to be 'dialed in' by your camera to get optimum results. Use the lens for (say) six months and if you still have not found its sweet spot, send it in along with your camera for an evaluation/alignment/repair by a service center.

Until then, enjoy the season...M
I don't have any kind of buyers remorse over it as I'm thinking about getting rid of my other long lenses as I like the result. I think I'm bit oversensitive to the issue due to my issues with the first lens (scratched rear element, dirty and dusty) and I don't want this much better one to fail on me.
12-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I don't want this much better one to fail on me
Why should it fail?
My DA*300 probably has the same issues as yours. But I've never looked close enough at it to find out.
Everything works, it's a very very sharp lens, I'm happy.
12-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Why should it fail?
My DA*300 probably has the same issues as yours. But I've never looked close enough at it to find out.
Everything works, it's a very very sharp lens, I'm happy.
I got worried because two blades yesterday apparently didn't line up properly (at any stopped down aperture) despite that I tried to work the aperture. I think the culprit is that spot on one on the blades and I hope that it was temporary but the spot is still there.
Would people pay the same for an used lens with this sticky spot as for an used lens without one?

12-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I got worried because two blades yesterday apparently didn't line up properly
If you look around the web (eg RiceHigh had a post about the issue with some different lenses of his), and even this forum, there are lots of people who report that their lenses don't form a perfect hexagon (or whatever they are supposed to look like depending on the number of blades in the lens) when stopped down.

Totally stopped down at f32 my DA*300 aperture opening looks even less 'shapely' than yours. But if I look again at say f8 or f11 it is all perfect. Just check each aperture setting - if it looks OK at f2.8, f4, f8 etc no problems.

But if one blade is permanently stuck in position or not opening as it should, just send it back with an explanation. At a minimum all the blades should open and close smoothly from wide open to f32 (even if when they close the shape isn't perfect).
12-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you look around the web (eg RiceHigh had a post about the issue with some different lenses of his), and even this forum, there are lots of people who report that their lenses don't form a perfect hexagon (or whatever they are supposed to look like depending on the number of blades in the lens) when stopped down.

Totally stopped down at f32 my DA*300 aperture opening looks even less 'shapely' than yours. But if I look again at say f8 or f11 it is all perfect. Just check each aperture setting - if it looks OK at f2.8, f4, f8 etc no problems.

But if one blade is permanently stuck in position or not opening as it should, just send it back with an explanation. At a minimum all the blades should open and close smoothly from wide open to f32 (even if when they close the shape isn't perfect).
That was the thing, the two adjecent blades in the spot area didn't move as they should when I looked at them and at F32 there was a total drop shape. But is you can see by the photos (it's not how it looked the day before I took them) the problems with the blades somehow vanished over the night, leaving only the spot left as a sign. If this was only temporary, I don't know, but I didn't find any posts about a spot like that. Though I'm glad that my blades aren't mounted wrong like one post.
12-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

the problems with the blades somehow vanished over the night
Just keep an eye on the blades in future, and exercise the lens regularly to keep it healthy
12-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just keep an eye on the blades in future, and exercise the lens regularly to keep it healthy
Yeah, I contacted the repair center and they said that they can look at it if I want to. They don't think is any use to send it in at the moment if I don't want to be without it for an extended time due to the holidays, so I will continue to use the lens until at least January. I must say that it is a wonderful lens despite my problems.
12-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing to worry about, VisualD. Mine has been that way from day 1, no issues with performance.
My blades have a bunch of little creative marks on them, and when shut the blades make all sorts of crazy designs depending on their mood (hex, oval, potato, you name it).
My lens works like a champ. I think everyone who owns one of these can verify that it is not out of the norm.
So, relax and shoot the heck out of it till you really wear it out from use.
No need to do any unnecessary surgery.
Attached Images

12-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is exactly why I posted here again, great help! Thanks to everyone who helped out verifying that I it's by no means any acute condition.

Though I find it a bit weird that the aperture works this way in such an expensive Pentax lens, even if it doesn't affect the image in any meaningful way. My brother often asks me why I don't have a Sigma camera as a wide majority of the lenses I use are Sigma and none got this kind of aperture as far as I noticed. At least it's not one of the ugly pentagon/hexagon bokeh ones like most lenses from ex Canon.