Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #1

Question on Lensbaby Fisheye

I am looking to start up fisheye photography however i dont want to spend out hundreds on a lens if i don't get the hang of it. Now what i want to know is.....is the lensbaby scout with fisheye optic a good place to start? I know they aren't going to be anywhere near as sharp as the fisheye lenses on the market

12-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't used the Lensbaby, but it costs almost as much as a Samyang 8mm, and I bought a used 10-17mm for just a little more than that. If you just want to try fisheye without a major investment, you could try a 0.2x conversion lens for under US$75. WIth the host lens stopped down a bit, sharpness can be okay, and on the kit 18-55 lens, it lets you try different focal lengths to see how fishy you want to go.

Edit: A Bower-badged Samyang 8mm is actually LESS than a Lensbaby today:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/208328-bower-fisheye-8...ml#post2202606

Last edited by THoog; 12-13-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Sale at B&H
12-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I haven't used the Lensbaby, but it costs almost as much as a Samyang 8mm, and I bought a used 10-17mm for just a little more than that. If you just want to try fisheye without a major investment, you could try a 0.2x conversion lens for under US$75. WIth the host lens stopped down a bit, sharpness can be okay, and on the kit 18-55 lens, it lets you try different focal lengths to see how fishy you want to go.
a lensbaby fisheye, any lensbaby for that matter is a very specialized lens. I think you should not go that way for starters. The DA10-17 is a really wonderful lens to do both fisheye photography and UWA photography (and very close focus work too) all done with auto focus. Sure you can go with something like an 8mm or a lensbaby lens but I think they are less versatile. (I do own an 8mm, a 10-17, and a lensbaby 3 which does not have a fisheye capability)
12-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The used market of fisheyes is active because a lot of people are in the same boat. It's hard to figure out if you'll like it until you try it. You should be able to sell a slightly used fisheye without too much loss.

Once you decide to get one, it's a tough choice today, especially between Samyang and DA 10-17. I ended up choosing mostly by the size and weight of the lens. I figured I would likely take the fisheye plus another lens most of the time, and the Samyangsare a little too big for that. The extra features of the DA are nice. You can simulate the DA's zoom effect by using software with a distortion slider. Just "correct" the Samyang's distortion and the effect is sort of like zooming the DA.