Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

eyefi card, without changing to wireless router?

wondering if there is a way to use the wireless cards without changing to a wireless router, i only have a desktop computer with a dsl router now, is there something i can add on to that to be able to download images wirelessly to the computer ?

12-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
is there something i can add on to that to be able to download images wirelessly to the computer ?
I think the only thing you can ad to that would be a wireless router. The desktop won't need to connect wirelessly to the router, it can connect by Ethernet.
12-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Forum Member

If your computer has a wireless card you may be able to use it to create a network and act as a router. I don't have any experience with Eyefi cards and I can only speak for the Mac OS. I'm not sure if the same thing can be done in Windows or Linux. Someone else may be able to answer that.
12-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm assuming the EyeFi cards have to connect to a network, right? So that means you either need a wireless router, or you need to turn your desktop computer into a wi-fi hotspot. You can get a cheap ($10) USB thingy to allow your computer to connect to a wi-fi network, but I'm not sure if you can use those to CREATE a network -- maybe with the right software. Or you'd need a wireless card, but you could get a used router for practically nothing off of craigslist to do the job as all (not necessarily replacing your current router, just as a wi-fi add-on).

But sounds like a lot of hassle -- it is that big of a deal just to plug in the camera or use a card reader? I don't really see the attraction of EyeFi cards, especially if you have no wi-fi!

12-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i did find this : FlashAir
seems simple enough, and so that would not require the addition of a wireless router
( of course i have none of the tablets or devices to connect to besides my desktop yet -- was hoping there was just a usb thing that could plug into the ( non- wireless four year old desktop ) computer to act as the wireless port much as with a wireless mouse does.
as to whether this whole concept is any better than taking the card out or connecting by usb i don't know
12-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Simplest solution really is a wireless router. As noted you can get older models that work perfectly fine for next to nothing. Check craigslist or ebay or if you have a small computer shop nearby ask if they have an old one they would part with. Seriously, I just checked ebay and got 22,000 hits many for $20 or $30. Even new you are talking $79.
12-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i would do that-- get a wireless router, but---- if i can just add the wireless router to the existing wired router without a lot of cable changing and set up ?

12-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
if i can just add the wireless router to the existing wired router without a lot of cable changing and set up ?
If your current router is also your modem, the wireless will just o between it and the computer. An Ethernet cable will go from your current set up to the input of the wireless, and from the wireless output to the computer, If your current router is just a router, then the wireless will replace it. Regardless of which way it is, the whole process involves unplugging and plugging in, at most, 2 cables.
12-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Depending on your current setup and your level of knowledge/ease of learning about such things, it could be easy or a big hassle. The wiring is no big deal, but getting the new router to play nice with your modem can be tricky config-wise. It just depends.

If you're a bit clueless about networking, it could be a hassle and you could also be opening a security hole in your system for hackers or neighbors to be getting into your network. It really just seems more sensible not to use EyeFi cards if you have no other reason to set-up a wi-fi network -- I don't see any compelling reason to use them.
12-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I don't see any compelling reason to use them.
I agree. It would probably take longer to connect the card via WiFi than it would to remove it and put it into a reader.
12-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can use most wireless routers as Access Points only with no need to substitute your current router or settings on your computer. They typically have a WLAN port where you connect the modem and 4 LAN ports for your local network. Just do not use the WLAN port.

If your current DSL router has a build-in switch (it will have more than one port to connect computers) then just use an Ethernet cable to connect one of the LAN ports from the wireless router to one of the LAN ports to the DSL router. This way you will have now a wireless access point to connect any wireless device plus additional LAN ports to connect devices using wires.

You will need to configure the wireless router though to disable its DHCP server and provide a proper IP address for your network. Most wireless routers come with a build-in web server for management and you can use your browser to access all the settings.
12-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
You can use most wireless routers as Access Points only with no need to substitute your current router or settings on your computer. They typically have a WLAN port where you connect the modem and 4 LAN ports for your local network. Just do not use the WLAN port.

If your current DSL router has a build-in switch (it will have more than one port to connect computers) then just use an Ethernet cable to connect one of the LAN ports from the wireless router to one of the LAN ports to the DSL router. This way you will have now a wireless access point to connect any wireless device plus additional LAN ports to connect devices using wires.

You will need to configure the wireless router though to disable its DHCP server and provide a proper IP address for your network. Most wireless routers come with a build-in web server for management and you can use your browser to access all the settings.
"Greek" to most people. And then when you point out that you must make sure to leave no security hole, and to avoid the dreaded double-NAT when hooking a router to a router, it is usually best to leave these things to someone that knows what they are doing...
12-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i've decided, based on the fact that i have no idea what i am doing--- just take the little sd card out , or plug in the camera---- save me a lot of grief , can just see it now-- my whole computer , phone, house wiring , plumbing, car, cell phone--- everything--- just no longer working cause i wanted to play...... thank you guys..... saved me.
12-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

you can try this...How to turn your Windows 7 laptop into a wireless hotspot | News | TechRadar

You will need a wireless adapter on your machine tho..
12-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
"Greek" to most people. ...
Well said!

But some of us just happen to speak (literally) that language