Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #1

Tools to disassemble the Lens

Just want to know what kind of tool set I need to open the internal lens assembly. Couldn't use the small ones I had. Any info on what and where I can get this would be great. Thanks.

12-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends a lot on what lens. Without that you will only get very generic answers.

So generally you will need a good set of screw drivers often with JIS tips. You will also need a set of spanners although other things can be substituted. Good well lit clean area to work on.

There are a number of dis-assembly tutorials on the web for different lenses, just search for that with your lens type. Or let us know what you are trying to do and you will get better answers.
12-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have pulled a few apart and the advice above is good ... Tell us what you are planning to service - J
12-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Which lens? Manual primes are easier that autofocus zooms. Practice on a simple, cheap lens.

12-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the faster response. Trying to repair SMC Takumar 50 1.4 which is in excellent cosmetic condition. It doesn't do infinity focus even with the original pentax M42 adapter. The barrel is smooth except in one place and I don't know whether that is related to infinity focus. Didn't have the heart to throw this gem away.
12-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
jis screwdriver set

Here you go.
JIS Type S Driver Set, 4Pc Pollicis - Amazon.com
12-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You will also need a lens spanner.
I picked up a cheap one on eBay.

Search for a "Lens Spanner" - there are tons of them out there.

12-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is one tutorial for that lens or it's close sibling anyway: Pentax 50mm f/1.4 strip-down instructions Just search for lens repair tutorials.

For that lens you will need the JIS screwdrivers as mentioned and a good spanner. You will also need a lens name plate remover. I made one on the lathe out of wood and glued some rubber onto the bottom. But you can get by with a lot of different things you might already have like a rubber crutch tip or rubber drain plug. You just need something that will just fit inside the lens barrel and allow you to turn the name plate off without scratching the glass.

To fix infinity focus you really do not need to get all that deep. It is quite easy on the Takumars. Here is a tutorial that says it better than I could: Shooting with a Pentax K10D: Fixing the infinite focus on a Super Takumar 24mm ...
12-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I already ordered the tool kit as suggested by gp1806. I will go thru the tutorial. Very happy to be a member of this forum. Again, Thanks.