Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-30 Battery Life

I have noticed a couple of comments about the battery life with the K-30. I just recieved the camera about a week now and the battery provides me with about 50 to 100 shots before it goes completely dead. I contacted B & H, where I got my camera and they will send me a replacement battery after I send this one back. Howwever: after looking at the manual and the battery settings. My camera is set for the camera to Auto Select which battery is being used. Mine was set to Auto so I changed it to the L-190 Lith. The reason is I have a back up battery and that is depleting as rapidly as my Pentax. I was thinking that may be that is the problem with the camera searching for the correct battery. Just a thought.!
I still have all my original batteries for my K-20 and they still last for ever and that has been years now.

Theo

12-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by theoicarry Quote
I have noticed a couple of comments about the battery life with the K-30. I just recieved the camera about a week now and the battery provides me with about 50 to 100 shots before it goes completely dead. I contacted B & H, where I got my camera and they will send me a replacement battery after I send this one back. Howwever: after looking at the manual and the battery settings. My camera is set for the camera to Auto Select which battery is being used. Mine was set to Auto so I changed it to the L-190 Lith. The reason is I have a back up battery and that is depleting as rapidly as my Pentax. I was thinking that may be that is the problem with the camera searching for the correct battery. Just a thought.!
I still have all my original batteries for my K-20 and they still last for ever and that has been years now.

Theo
It should last much longer than that. Mine will use the battery faster if I use live view, but nothing like that.
12-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
It should last much longer than that. Mine will use the battery faster if I use live view, but nothing like that.
How many shots are you getting with the battery?
Teho
12-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just got off the phone with an Pentax Rep, (should have called before) Anyway he advised to charge that battery several times before expecting 100% performance, may be even 6 times. This could explain why my backup battery is depleting as well because I only did the initial charge. I will keep all posted.
Thanks
Theo

12-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by theoicarry Quote
How many shots are you getting with the battery?
Teho
I really haven't kept track, I know I went to an event shortly after I got it and shot at least 258 raw pics and 34 videos, over 10 GB data and did change the battery right before the end. But the battery use depends a lot on if you are using live view, flash, long exposures, etc. I have noticed one thing that will drain the battery. If I plug the camera into the computer to download photos, and forget to turn the camera off, it will drain in a couple of hours or less, even though it shuts down. I don't expect quite as much battery life as I had with the K20D because the battery is smaller and the display bigger. But it is still good and I can't complain. Hopefully that Pentax rep is correct.
12-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #6

I have 2 K30+18-135. Both camera take about 400 picture for 1 D-LI109 battery or 4AA with adapter. If you take picture by live view, about 2-300 picture. So check battery is fully charge or not. Or change to 4AA with adapter to check.
12-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I get around 400 with OEM battery as well. Had some thing going on with my Sanyo XX batteries and was able to test how the preformed after a fresh recharge today: 950 exposures and still some power left.

The number drops to around 350 if the AA batteries were changed a week or two (not sure) prior to usage. The OEM seem to care less about this - but again, I'm not completely positive about this either.