Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #1

Video shooting recommendations (stabilizer/lighting?

I'm attempting to get some equipment together to shoot a nonexistent budget feature film (fiction) with my K-5.

The next item on my list to get is a handheld stabilizer. Does anybody have experience shooting video with your Pentax and a stabilizer? What would you recommend? I anticipate that there will be a lot of moving shots but nothing at very high speed (at most a light job). I've heard good things about the Wondlan magic carbon fiber stabilizer, and it is nice that it extends to a monopod so i wouldn't need to lug my tripod around as much, but it is a bit on the expensive site (around 400) so I wouldn't mind hearing of some cheaper alternatives (or better alternatives around the same price range).

As a small additional questions, anyone know any super cheap light kits that would be good for lighting indoor close/medium shots?

12-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I built a shoulder rig using the instructions in the video at http://www.diyphotography.net/diy-dslr-pvc-shoulder-rig but have not had the chance to play with it yet. Cost of the parts was under $15.
12-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by torontoem4o Quote
As a small additional questions, anyone know any super cheap light kits that would be good for lighting indoor close/medium shots?
Can you define super cheap? The cheapest route I know of would be to get a couple of Lanternlock fixtures, photoflood bulbs, and a couple of C-stands. You'd have no way of shaping the light, but they use china balls, which are very pleasing in most situations. This could be done for $200-$300.
12-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have to say, though, you're probably better off saving up / doing a crowdfunding campaign for six months, and creating some type of budget for what you are doing. It is very difficult to achieve quality results with no money.