Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

Microscopy

This last cyber Monday I impulsively bought an AmScope 40x-2000x Full-Size 17lbs Professional Trinocular Lab Biological Compound Microscope with 3D Two-Layer Mechanical Stage. I was wondering what all I would need to be able to hook my Pentax K-5 to it. What would you all suggest? Do I hook my camera directly up to it with some sort of adapter or is there some way to incorporate any of my current lenses into the mix using some bellows? I have a DFA 100mm WR and a DA 35mm macro lens.

I keep looking online trying to figure out if I need a C-mount or T-mount adapters, bellows or any other stuff to get going on some micro stacks for this Winter.

I tried searching the forums to see if there was any discussion on this but I didn't come across much that would help. Forgive my ignorance and if this topic has been done to death already then please point me in the right direction for researching this. I didn't want to go nuts with buying adapters only to find out that half of them were not needed. Looks like the trinocular mount inner thread diameter is 25mm if I am measuring it correctly.

Any information I came across while searching the web on this topic concerning this brand of microscope seems to point me toward what seems like some over priced adapter kits.

Another question I have would be if I were to upgrade the objectives to something of higher quality, could I fit any Nikon infinity objectives to this?

Sorry for all of the newbish questions. Just figured this would be fun to mess with via HDMI/Live view out to my computer monitor while I stack shots of whatever this Winter.

Thanks in advance.

12-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been interested in microscopy as well but I still don't have a microscope. I do have the adapter: PENTAX Microscope Adapter K reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database this is the k-mount one and the one I have is M42 but looks the same other than that. It says it works with any 25mm microscope tube. I got it at a good price and figured someday I would get a microscope. These come up for sale fairly regularly.
12-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have been interested in microscopy as well but I still don't have a microscope. I do have the adapter: PENTAX Microscope Adapter K reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database this is the k-mount one and the one I have is M42 but looks the same other than that. It says it works with any 25mm microscope tube. I got it at a good price and figured someday I would get a microscope. These come up for sale fairly regularly.
I have looked at those and was curious if that was what I needed to get started or not. I see some being sold on ebay every once in awhile.

I do not even know if the microscope I've got is worth using. It seems to have a very nice quality stage and at 17lbs I figured I could safely mount my camera and whatever else I needed to it without worrying about it tipping or getting knocked over very easily. It has been sitting on my desk, under its cover since I bought it as I periodically attempted to figure out what I needed to get it up and running with the camera. I know it is silly for me to buy such a thing with intent on using it for stacking without knowing what all I needed to get it working but it was an impulse buy and Amazon acted like they took a 1,400 bucks off of the cost of it though I still see it listed at that price. So I doubt I got a 2 thousand dollar microscope for 300 bucks when I most likely got a 300 dollar microscope for 300 bucks. Oh well...

Hope you find what you are looking for microscope wise Jatrax.
12-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I am fairly sure that the adapter is what you need. My only doubt is whether microscope eyepieces are standard or are still standard. When the adapter was made in 1970's this appears to be what they used but I'm sure if a modern microscope still uses the same standards.

I think the microscope will have to wait until I retire, I have too many other things going to add another to the mix.

12-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Is this the one you got: AmScope 40X-2000X Full-Size 17 Lbs Professional Trinocular Lab Biological Compound Microscope with 3D Two-Layer Mechanical Stage: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

It looks like there is a camera mount on top. If that is 25mm then you should be good with the Pentax adapter.
12-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I've been looking into buying a microscope myself.

Eye-pieces come in two standard sizes 23.2mm and 30mm. 23.2mm is by far the most common.

Camera microscope adapters for the 23.2mm will either fit in the place of the eyepiece (tube OD of 23.2mm) or fit over the eyepiece and eyepiece tube (ID 25mm). This allows you to leave the eyepiece in place to do eyepiece projection photography for even more magnification. Some of the adapters that fit within the tube will also have space to put the eyepiece within the adapter.

You can find adapters with a dedicated camera mount, T-mount or C-mount. The Amscope should come with a C-mount adapter. I have not found a C-mount to K-mount or M42 adapter however - all the adapters I've found allow you to mount a K/M42 lens on a C-mount body, not the other way around.

As I recall the Amscopes use the 23.2mm standard.

Amscope sells adapters for Canon and Nikon mount as I recall.

Last edited by Not a Number; 12-14-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: typo
12-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Is this the one you got: AmScope 40X-2000X Full-Size 17 Lbs Professional Trinocular Lab Biological Compound Microscope with 3D Two-Layer Mechanical Stage: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

It looks like there is a camera mount on top. If that is 25mm then you should be good with the Pentax adapter.
Yup that is the one. Yeah that trinocular connection measured 25mm I thought. I have not measured the eye pieces.
12-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I've been looking into buying a microscope myself.

Eye-pieces come in two standard sizes 23.2mm and 30mm. 23.2mm is by far the most common.

Camera microscope adapters for the 23.2mm will either fit in the place of the eyepiece (tube OD of 23.2mm) or fit over the eyepiece and eyepiece tube (ID 25mm). This allows you to leave the eyepiece in place to do eyepiece projection photography more even more magnification. Some of the adapters that fit within the tube will also have space to put the eyepiece within the adapter.

You can find adapters with a dedicated camera mount, T-mount or C-mount. The Amscope should come with a C-mount adapter. I have not found a C-mount to K-mount or M42 adapter however - all the adapters I've found allow you to mount a K/M42 lens on a C-mount body, not the other way around.

As I recall the Amscopes use the 23.2mm standard.

Amscope sells adapters for Canon and Nikon mount as I recall.
I am not sure but the trinocular swivel assembly might be C-mount. It has a set screw that allows me to remove that entire assembly while allowing me to see down into the hole where the objective would be. I wonder if I should just remove the trinocular assembly and attempt to mount the camera directly to where that assembly normally is? I can't quite tell since I am not familiar with these mounts and I can find very little information on this microscope. The manual that came with it isn't overly informative. I figured if I could or were able to take that route, It would be less glass between my camera and the objective since there appears to be glass on both ends (swivel assembly base and the top trinocular cap)

Thanks for your help.

12-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If you go to Amscope's website there are photos (see bottom of linked page) of the C-mount adapter with and without a video camera attached. There are also photos of their web/video camera and digital camera with their adapter attached.

About Us

Hope this helps you to figure out how this works and what you might need as an adapter.

What are the dimensions of the silver tube coming out of the trinocular port?

Instructions for the M42 version of the microscope adapter can be found in the bellows, extension ring and close-up accessory manual:

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/m42/close_up_m42_s.pdf

Password is "Pentax"

Last edited by Not a Number; 12-14-2012 at 06:12 PM.
12-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you go to Amscope's website there are photos (see bottom of linked page) of the C-mount adapter with and without a video camera attached. There are also photos of their web/video camera and digital camera with their adapter attached.

About Us

Hope this helps you to figure out how this works and what you might need as an adapter.

What are the dimensions of the silver tube coming out of the trinocular port?

Instructions for the M42 version of the microscope adapter can be found in the bellows, extension ring and close-up accessory manual:

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/m42/close_up_m42_s.pdf

Password is "Pentax"
Thanks for the info. I am reading 23-24mm outside diameter of that tube.
12-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

You could always take one of the eyepieces and see if it fits in the trinoc port.
12-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter

The best way to use a trinoc is to use a t-adapter for your body and the correct tube that goes with the scope. That you will have to figure out based on your scope.
12-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I'll chime in here...I worked in college as a light and electron microscopist. Granted...that was more than a few years ago...

If you can get one of the pentax kmount phototubes...that will probably give you the best images. Slip the phototube into place and then mount your camera to the phototube. Phototube goes in the vertical, "tube" directly in line with the microscope slide.

Ideally, the image should be in focus for the camera if its also in focus thru the occulars. I say ideally....I've never used this scope. I was always fond of Nikons.....and if you think cameras are expensive....try a nikon scope and full set of objectives....

You're gonna want to make sure light is evenly distributed across the image. To do this, set the movable stage, iris, and condensor according to something called "kohler illumination". Here is a generic link explaining. There are probably specific guides on line...I did not look that carefully.

Köhler illumination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The instructions included with your scope might even detail the proceedure. Or if you have a local college, University, they can help too.

I doubt you'll great images at the higher magnifications, so start at the lower/lowest and see how it goes.

good luck, be sure to post some results...if you need some help let me know. My lab uses photomicroscopy a lot...I just don't do it myself anymore. I do have some killer images though....(no pun intended). I'll pull a few next week...

mark
06-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Photos with Amscope trinocular

OK, I am late on this thread and no one is reading it anymore...But I have the t490 and have taken a few shots through it with my Bumblebee K-01. OK, my K-30 would have worked as well, but I eventually want to make videos so I am breaking in the K-01. It also sits lighter on the sky scraper I built to hold it! From the camera out it is 1)Pentax screw mount adapter which is marked "Asahi Optical Co."--haha 2) Asahi Optical Microscope adapter I bagged on eBay--a complex little apparatus which screws into the adapter and slides onto the trinocular tube provided by Amscope. This adjusts to vary the focal length, but this seems to be of no purpose--it might be that the Asahi Microscope adapter is a bit on the long side for it to work. No Problem--just focus the microscope till the image is clear on the K-01 screen. Best to use the two second delay; if you think shake is a problem with a 500 mm, or with a macro at 1:1, try putting these together to approximate shake at 100X. The pic of Dog artery shows some blur, but I plan to do better.
This scope is a great buy at Amazon. I am pretty sure Nikon and Olympus scopes are manufactured in China, and possibly on the same assembly line as these T490s, as Amscope claims. Yes, you can find better optics, but at relatively low powers (40-400X) the T490 will do the job. Let's put it this way--if you think of it as a LENS, it is pretty inexpensive at $276!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
06-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
Pentaxian

This is an old thread I missed somehow, probably wasn't able to get on line. I think I may have a Yashica M42 mount made for this purpose, I'll check it later and see what it measures. I'm pretty sure I remember screwing it to a M42 extension tube, but will check that too. I've been hanging onto it not sure what it was, but this is what I thought. I'll try to get soome pictures too, it would be good to know if this is actually what it is. It won't fit my cheap microscope, eyelens tube is too small, around 20mm...