Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
First attempt at Macro

Got my extension tube set today, so excited, went home and tried it out. Reverse mount adapter is still on its way

K-r: 7+14+28 tubes + 50mm f/1.7.

I opened up the aperture all the way to 1.7 to help focusing, then stopped it down all the way to 22, using a tripod of course
ISO 200, exposure is about 3 seconds i think. I also had a lamp shine some light on the object, a dime. I know... it's quite boring to look at
It looks yellowish because of the lamp.

The working distance is not bad, compared to reverse lens on lens, estimate is about 8cm.
One question i had: i find that adjusting the manual focus ring doesn't seem to have any affect? or is it too slight to notice?

Will update once i receive the reverse mount adapter!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
12-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by czhao1009 Quote
One question i had: i find that adjusting the manual focus ring doesn't seem to have any affect? or is it too slight to notice?
It won't have any effect with a reverse mount lens, but will affect a normally mounted lens on extension tubes. The change in focus might not be noticeable on the stock focusing screen, it shows more DOF than is really there. Try focusing in live view.
12-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
It won't have any effect with a reverse mount lens, but will affect a normally mounted lens on extension tubes. The change in focus might not be noticeable on the stock focusing screen, it shows more DOF than is really there. Try focusing in live view.
Hmm, i did use the live view, but didn't quite notice the difference as i turn.. maybe it's too late and my eyes are not working right
i will give it a try tomorrow
12-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #4

led ring flash

I think led type ring flash might help, but must consider the intensity of light when buying one.

12-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jottlike Quote
I think led type ring flash might help, but must consider the intensity of light when buying one.
Noted! I just wanted to see what the combo can do
LED or maybe even a flash will definitely be better than my lamp, LOL
12-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Do you guys think the picture is out of focus? It is not sharp enough for my taste, what could I have done better to improve the quality?

Thanks for any suggestions and advice!
12-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It looks yellowish because of the lamp.
Actually, it's because you did not set or adjust the white balance :-)
12-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Actually, it's because you did not set or adjust the white balance :-)
hmm didn't check that will do next time

12-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hmm didn't check that will do next time
QuoteQuote:
Do you guys think the picture is out of focus? It is not sharp enough for my taste, what could I have done better to improve the quality?
Practice

Practice

Practice
12-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Thanks for any suggestions and advice!
The camera should be stable of course. On a tripod, make sure SR is off. The 2 second delay will help with stability and automatically disable SR so I usually do that.

Then you need to concentrate on focus and depth of field. You might try different apertures to see if f22 is giving you lots of depth of field but losing sharpness from diffraction.

I read a long article on eBay just about taking shots of coins. Hardly any of it was camera or lens stuff. The main discussion was different lighting and how each light setup would show the coin differently. So once the other stuff is right, try different lighting. LED flashlights are good for this experimental testing. You might ultimately use an off camera strobe but the LED gives you a quick idea of where to place it.
12-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #11

The problem you encounter when shooting macros is the depth of field can be measured in thousandths of an inch (or mm). You can help increase the depth of field by shooting at small apertures, but even then it won't be a lot. That is why it is important to make sure the front of your camera lens is absolutely parallel to your subject.

I think for your first try, it came out quite well.
12-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Then you need to concentrate on focus and depth of field. You might try different apertures to see if f22 is giving you lots of depth of field but losing sharpness from diffraction.
Hmm, good point. I just went for the smallest aperture the lens can go and didn't think about anything else

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
That is why it is important to make sure the front of your camera lens is absolutely parallel to your subject.
AHHA! My lens definitely was not parallel to the dime :/ Thanks !!!
12-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used to do a lot with extension tubes and normal 50mm lenses back in film days, and got nice results. I never found reversing the lens made a noticable difference for me. However, special purpose macro lenses can make a difference. I especially like the SMC Pentax-M 100mm 4.0 macro, as it lets you keep the lens farther back from the subject. It also stops to f32, and works with extension tubes. If you like macro, keep an eye out for it, as they can be inexpensive.

I believe Pentax later made an "A" version with f2.8, but they are rarer and expensive.
12-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I used to do a lot with extension tubes and normal 50mm lenses back in film days, and got nice results. I never found reversing the lens made a noticable difference for me. However, special purpose macro lenses can make a difference. I especially like the SMC Pentax-M 100mm 4.0 macro, as it lets you keep the lens farther back from the subject. It also stops to f32, and works with extension tubes. If you like macro, keep an eye out for it, as they can be inexpensive.

I believe Pentax later made an "A" version with f2.8, but they are rarer and expensive.
Thanks! I will definitely keep an eye out for the M 100 macro
Do you perhaps have some photos you took with the 50mm? I just started this and sometimes are struggling to find things to shoot... or maybe i'm not used to it yet