Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by London Rob Quote
On my second k5 now so I'm very used to their performance and nuances. Recently my 6 month old second body has started to show (albeit infrequently) and odd problem.
Irrespective of lens mounted I can get focus confirmation using AF-S from a half press but then full press doesn't fire. Half press again and it hunts a bit then might fire but it's very hit and miss.

This tends to be late on in a shoot but whether in the studio or outdoors there's clearly enough ambient light. This is always shots of people or models in AV and although not totally static their movement or mine surely can't stop it from firing.
I have been through all menus and all I have activated is focus fine adjust, everything else is factory spec. Latest firmware, everything in tip top condition.

Thoughts ?
When the AF is struggling, sometimes rotating the camera 45-90deg. from the orientation you are currently using, locking focus, and then recomposing back to your original orientation will do the trick. The introduction of more cross-type AF sensors in cameras now is in an effort to address the old issue of how AF sensors are typically designed to work best in one orientation (typically horizontal).