Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

TaV mode - best time to use?

Hello,

I have tried TaV mode inside for sports pictures where I am trying to get the fastest shutter speed possible. Usually 160 is the fastest shutter I can set, with a 2.8 fstop without the viewfinder telling me that it is underexposed at 3200 ISO. I have noticed that the exposure is "coarser" than in "A" or "P" mode. Has anyone had that experience? Also what are other conditions where TaV mode is superior to other modes (no flash).

thanks

12-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TAV mode can be used whenever you need to specify shutter speed and aperture and are ok with the camera selecting ISO value.
Indoor sports is a good example.
I use it extensively for street photography where the lighting conditions are changing constantly but I want a fast shutter to stop action and my aperture needs to be set for greater depth of field.

Whenever ISO climbs higher you will get more grain or noise in your pictures if that is what you are referring to as coarse.

A trick you can do with newer Pentax bodies is to shoot your pictures at a stop underexposed by using the EV compensation function.
This will let you use a faster shutter speed.
Then you can bring the exposure back to normal in post processing because Pentax has excellent dynamic range.
12-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #3

For indoor sports, I find Manual mode preferable to Tav mode so that metering is accurate. It gives you full control , especially for shutter speed.
12-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hiroshi Quote
...160 is the fastest shutter I can set, with a 2.8 fstop without the viewfinder telling me that it is underexposed at 3200 ISO....
Why limit ISO to 3200?

Sounds to me like you are being too timid. I use Tav almost all of the time with ISO set to "auto" 80-25400. With a little PP in LR plus NIK plug-ins, high ISO images can be rendered quite usable I've found... even ISO 25400.

Push the camera's limits... you might be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Cheers...M

12-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use it pretty much all the time, except when I'm using a Tak or a KM lens.
12-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #6

i think 3200 is really all you can push the ISO to. I feel that is what is usable with limited PP. 6400 is good on paper, but the cameras limits are there.
12-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hiroshi Quote
Hello,

I have tried TaV mode inside for sports pictures where I am trying to get the fastest shutter speed possible. Usually 160 is the fastest shutter I can set, with a 2.8 fstop without the viewfinder telling me that it is underexposed at 3200 ISO. I have noticed that the exposure is "coarser" than in "A" or "P" mode. Has anyone had that experience? Also what are other conditions where TaV mode is superior to other modes (no flash).

thanks
I'm not sure what you mean by "coarser", or what camera you have. On my K-7, I can choose to have the ISO change in one-stop increments. That is, it starts at 100 and doubles every time I change it. Or the ISO can change in the same increments as the other exposure settings (aperture and shutter speed). My camera is set on half-stop increments for those, so the steps are 100, 140, 200, 280, etc. That setting is in the Custom Settings page 1 on the K-7, probably close to that on the K-5. There are also settings for how the camera decides to raise or lower ISO, which you should look at if you plan to use the auto-ISO modes like TAv.

Another way you might mean "coarser" is the grainy look to a photo taken at a high ISO, also called noise. Noise reduction can reduce or eliminate that effect. It is worth the time to figure out the best way to do this for your photos and camera. It will allow you to use higher ISO settings without worrying much about lost quality.

Brief mode dissertation: Modes are all about adapting the camera to how you work. If your shutter speed is 1/250, aperture is f2.8 and ISO is 1600, the camera will take the same shot in M mode or P mode or TAv. The only difference between modes is how the settings happen. So one mode is superior to another if it allows you to get the right settings quicker. For some people, that's the same mode for everything, because the controls all do the same thing, they know where all the buttons are without looking, the camera is never surprising them with a display they haven't seen before, etc.

TAv mode is good for situations where light conditions will change a lot and sometimes be bad, there's action or a story to follow, and you are trying to do many things at once. One example: bird photography with a long lens. You can set the camera to a minimum shutter speed for handholding, set the lens to a good aperture with enough depth of field to cover the size of the bird, and let the ISO automatically follow along. When you see a bird, just focus and shoot.

12-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
All, thanks for the relies, and please keep them coming. By "Coarse" I meant the the exposures were sometimes overexposed, or underexposed a bit.