Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #1

istDL battery problem

I have an older istDL with a battery problem. When I insert 4 new lithium ions the indicator shows "no power" as if the batteries were dead (yes, I've tried numerous sets of new lithium ions). However, when I put insert a set of alkalines it reads "full power" and the camera works fine. Obviously, the lifespan of alkalines is not very good compared to lithium ions. The owner's manual says to use alkalines only for testing purposes. Any suggestions?

12-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The istDL probably came out before lithiums did and probably do not function properly with it's current software compared to alkalines. That's my guess.
12-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rechargeable Lithion-ion AA size batteries have a voltage of 3.7 Volts. This is much too high for use in your camera which require a nominal voltage of 1.5V. The lithium batteries referred to in the manual are the non-rechargeable plain lithium batteries with the correct voltage.
12-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Rechargable Duracell Nimh . I get several hundred shots between recharges. Alkalines while charging so as not to lose the cameras memory

12-17-2012, 04:08 AM   #5

Original Poster
I have been using non-rechargeable lithium ions, as specified in the manual, since I got the camera. They worked fine for years until just recently when this problem started.
12-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #6

I use rechargable eneloop, but all time, it must be charge before use. If charge and keep them 1-2 day, camera is not work.
12-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get a set of Eneloops or equivalent. I've been using them for years in my *istD without issue. Contrary to suttisak's experience above ^^, my eneloops will hold a charge for weeks if not used.

12-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quoting Steve from Steve's Digicam Forums:
"There are no Li-ion rechargeable AA type batteries. The only ones out there that resemble AA cells are 3.6v per cell and made for special applications or battery packs. The CR-V3 type Li-ion rechargeables can't be used in all cameras that use 2 or 4 AA type batteries unless the battery compartment and the camera's circuitry was made to use them. AA alkalines are 1.5v per cell, NiMH type are 1.2v per cell and the one-use "photo lithium" AA batteries are 1.5v per cell but they are NOT rechargeable."
You may mean non-rechargeable lithium (without the ion) photo batteries. If so, they should work fine and last longer than akaline or rechargeable Ni-MH. If not, do the sets you have work properly in any other device? I have used rechargeable Ni-MH and Eneloop low self-discharge Ni-MH batteries in my istdl with success. The Eneloops are far better than regular rechargeable Ni-MH. Recently acquired the XX Eneloop Pro AA batteries for use in my Canon A590IS, a real battery hog. They are a higher capacity Eneloop. Haven't had them long enough to judge them but their higher capacity, 1900 vs. 2400 min mAh, should work well for you.
12-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #9

Paulh, I have experience with K-x too. One my K-x except only new charge eneloop. But another one K-x can accept 1or 2 day charge. Do you think problem come from camera or leakage battery. And how to fix this problem ? Thank you.
12-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by suttisak Quote
Paulh, I have experience with K-x too. One my K-x except only new charge eneloop. But another one K-x can accept 1or 2 day charge. Do you think problem come from camera or leakage battery. And how to fix this problem ? Thank you.
I'm not sure what your problem is - are the batteries 'genuine' Eneloops? I think there were some fakes being sold on @bay. Maybe you are overcharging them, which shortens their lifespan. I'm using a cheap generic charger, but I only charge the batteries 2.5 hrs, and the batteries have lasted over 2 years now, and still hold a charge for a long time. A "smart charger" might be a good investment, but if you're stuck with a cheap charger, try limiting the charge time to 3 hrs max. Good luck.
12-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You might want to read this thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/13335-ist-dl-batteries.html
12-19-2012, 05:02 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I'm not sure what your problem is - are the batteries 'genuine' Eneloops? I think there were some fakes being sold on @bay. Maybe you are overcharging them, which shortens their lifespan. I'm using a cheap generic charger, but I only charge the batteries 2.5 hrs, and the batteries have lasted over 2 years now, and still hold a charge for a long time. A "smart charger" might be a good investment, but if you're stuck with a cheap charger, try limiting the charge time to 3 hrs max. Good luck.
Thank you paulh, Maybe I am overcharging them, which shortens their lifespan. I use quick charge 15 minute Energizer, buy from wall mart at Arizona.

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Thank you very much , gp1806, for your information, it is clear.
12-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
Inactive Account

While I am currently shooting a Pentax K10 and a K20, my Gf is using my old *ist, (which I find is an excellant beginners digital). In addition I have a P-TT flash for the K10 & K20 and a TTL flash for the *ist plus a ring flash.

The *ist DL and all three of the flash units use 4 AA cells.

Jan and I are both retired so we spend our time touring local points of interest, museums and some sporting events, and in the course of a day we think nothing of shooting 750 to 1000 frames.

I originally bought the *ist second hand and it came with a well worn set of Energizer Ni-MH rechargeables which the previous owner said were at that time 3 yrs old and probably needing replacement soon (That was in April of 2007) and those four batteries are still going strong. However heeding the adice of the previous owner I quiokly bought another set of four so I would have a backup when I go in the field. As I acquired each of the flash units and found they needed four AA's I bought additional sets of of 4 of either Energizer or Duracell rechargables so I now have a total of 5 sets of four. (I always change them together and keep them in the original set.)

On the other hand, I thought I might save a couple dollars so instead of paying the ridiculous sum of $19 for a set of four Energyzers or Duracells at Walmart, I opted to buy 20 generic 2900maH cells on ebay for about $25 and true to their advertising, they do work in the *ist, but the only last about 1/2 as long as the Duracells & Energizers, so I have now relagated those to powering our flashlights and portable radio.

I also have 5 each of the D-L150 Pentax batteries for the K10 & K 20 so when Jan & I head out on a road trip it doesn't matter if we are going for the day or if we extend it to a week, the last thing I worry about is batteries.

Oh yes, I would also like to mention that I have not bought any batteries since I purchased the last set of Energizers in November of 2010, althought I have worn out two chargers in that time.

Last edited by LazyPup; 12-20-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: left data out
12-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #14

LazyPup, thank you for your experience information about Duracells & Energizers battery.
12-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #15
Inactive Account

As I stated in my previous post I have 5 sets of rechargeable AA's, and they were all purchased at different times. Although I have no scientific evidence to support my idea, I believe that as batteries age the rate at which they charge and discharge will get longer, until we reach a point where they will no longer take a charge. When you have more than one set it would be easy for the batteries to get mixed together and within a short time you can't tell the new ones from the old ones. I have found a simple way to make sure that all four batteries stay together in their original set. Whenever I buy a set of four I borrow one of Jans little bottles of nail polish and I paint a narrow strip around each of the batteries in the set. By using a different color for each set it is easy to keep them together when I have them all out on the desk for charging. Just make sure you use a different color for each set, or you might want to take a permanent fine point marker and write the date of purchase, or maybejust number them. Regardless of how you do it, I think it is much better to keep them together and when you decide its time to buy new ones, you can easily figure out which ones are the oldest to pull those out of service.