Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Ancient Tamron zoom lens

I have a pretty old Tamron zoom lens....can't remember where I got it........it takes the adapall 2 to fit it to the Pentax. I don't remember ever using the thing....it pretty heavy, but I am wondering if I can try it on my K10?
This is what it says on it......Tamron SP
3.5-4
70-210mm
CF tele macro
BBar MC
aperture ring says AE 32 in small print, then 22 16 11 8 5.6 3.5/4(the four in small print)

I do have the adaptall with another Tamron tele macro 28-70mm 3.5-4.5
that one also has the 'AE' on the aperture ring......
Anybody know what the AE means?
I believe its a model 52A

12-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

So it is this wonderful looking thing? Tamron SP Adaptall-2 70-210mm F/3.5-4 Model 52A
Seems quite good for close-ups and pseudo macro work, and did I mention that I love the looks? Try it, otherwise send it to me!
12-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Adaptall-2 system had two K-mount adapters. They are stamped on the lens mount side with letters. The best one to have for your purposes is marked "P/KA". It also has three round electrical connectors. The connectors can tell your camera how to set the lens aperture itself and have it show up on the displays. Basically once the adapter is correctly atttached to the lens, put the aperture ring in the AE position. If everything is working, the camera should show an aperture from f3.5 to f22. You have to focus yourself but you can use any mode. The equivalent lens is a Pentax-A series, manual focus, something like the SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm f4. I don't know how good those lenses are, probably at least decent. You'll still have to tell the camera what focal length you're using for optimum SR.

The other type might say "P/K" or I think "P/K-M" depending on how old it is. With that adapter your camera is kind of limited. The equivalent lens type here is a Pentax-M lens. There's a sticky thread above on using these lenses. With these older adapters, the AE position is the same as f32, not really useful. You can buy a P/KA adapter and the lenses will work better with the camera.
12-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter

For lens specific information and review information (mostly for the SP lenses, including yours) see adaptall-2.org

12-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, Visual, that's the lens! Thanks everyone, I will check out that adaptall site, mine says for Pentax K.M. (did I mention these were old lenses?? LOL)
12-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pasojoy Quote
Yes, Visual, that's the lens! Thanks everyone, I will check out that adaptall site, mine says for Pentax K.M. (did I mention these were old lenses?? LOL)
You made me go into LBA mode despite already owning quite a bunch of lenses in the 70-210 range (incl Sigma 70-200/2.8). That lens just looks awesome!