Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

another question - ipad , etc

can one just connect a camera to an ipad or laptop even, and use that as a focusing aid or expanded lcd more or less ?

12-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No
Ipad has a special connector to begin with, so you nee an adapter for the rest i've no idea about the function.

With laptop you can use tethering http://www.pktether.com/
With android device you can also use tehering with special apps but they don't support pentax yet.
12-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Even with a laptop there is no true tethering with a Pentax camera newer than a K20D.

If tethering is something you need you will have to get a Canikon.
12-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The best you can do in terms of having a bigger LCD area is to attach a field monitor. Search the forums for lilliput or smallhd, these will both let you see your liveview and shots on the cam on a bigger screen. Tethering is something different, it is actual control of your camera rather than just playback, which is what I'm referring to.

12-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter

The Eye-Fi X2 cards have apps for iPad, Android, Windows, and MacOS.
12-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
so , kpevav, are you saying , using an eyefi card could transfer directly to the ipad , or one of the other tablets, right from the camera, say if i were out in an area that had no wifi signal for instance ?
12-23-2012, 02:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I re-read your original post and realized you wanted to use the iPad as an extended screen through tethering. An Eye-Fi card would not do that. Sorry for my misreading your post.

As to whether you can use the Eye-Fi directly to the iPad to transfer photos taken, without a wi-fi router signal in the area, it seems to be so through Direct Mode.

See Set up Direct Mode for iOS | Eye-Fi Support where Eye-Fi indicates:
Setting up Eye-Fi Direct Mode with an Apple iOS device
Enabling Eye-Fi Direct Mode provides you with the freedom to send photos and videos directly to your Apple iOS device. By enabling Eye-Fi Direct Mode, your Eye-Fi card will broadcast a pre-defined wireless network that your iOS device can use to receive photos and video from the card. The card will only broadcast this network when no other known wireless network is available in order to conserve your camera’s battery life.
12-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
actually i posted a couple of questions about this wireless card and also using the ipad or similar to check focus and etc. this direct mode is interesting for transfering, thanks