Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good deal . Note those are autofocus lenses, set the aperture to A so that all communication with the camera will function properly.

12-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
LOL.....thank you for that.........
12-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

You're a good sport - post some pics when you can
12-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Will do that! The weather right now is not 'user friendly' for experimenting with the camera, but I will try. BTW, what does everyone use for a photo editing program? I will have to break down and get a 'new' one for my 'new' camera..........right now I have a very old 'picture it' program. I did download a freebie (Irfanview) but so far I don't like it, to me (ie. impatient/not-so-computer savvy) it's not user friendly.

12-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

You're going to get a very long list of programs that all have a different learning curve.
Gimp is free, but has a bit of a learning curve (almost like Photoshop). But I'm learning to like some of its features.
Sagelight is very inexpensive and I find it extremely user friendly.
My most used program is Lightroom, price isn't bad anymore and it has a very good workflow for photographers.

There are others also.
12-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm using Lightroom 4.3 at the moment.
12-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pasojoy Quote
Will do that! The weather right now is not 'user friendly' for experimenting with the camera, but I will try. BTW, what does everyone use for a photo editing program? I will have to break down and get a 'new' one for my 'new' camera..........right now I have a very old 'picture it' program. I did download a freebie (Irfanview) but so far I don't like it, to me (ie. impatient/not-so-computer savvy) it's not user friendly.
If you are shooting JPGs, there are a lot of free ones to try. Picasa and Fastone are worth looking at. I have Irfanview and it's great for viewing but difficult for other stuff.

If you are shooting RAW, a lot of free applications are limited as a RAW converter, where the data becomes something you can see and look at. The simplest ones just grab the JPG preview that's embeded in the RAW file and work with that, or use the settings that created it. Look for something that has a reputation as a good RAW converter first. The Pentax Digital Camera Utility does a good job once you figure out the terrible interface, and is free.

If you don't mind paying, Adobe has a very good RAW converter, Adobe Camera RAW, that they use with three of their programs. Photoshop Elements uses the limited version of ACR, enough to get you going but maybe irritate you later. Lightroom uses the full version including excellent noise reduction, lens correction profiles and some basic editing. Photoshop uses the full version too, and you can edit in either ACR or Photoshop. Now that Lightroom is cheap, it is a good choice for a first purchase. Elements is only slightly less, with fluff you may not use and no noise reduction.

The programs I mention are just a small slice of the universe, the ones I've used. You might end up with something different that still works.