Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
setting focal length

Can't find an answer to this, I am probably looking in the wrong spot.....
I turned the camera off, put a sigma 70-300mm DL macro super lens on the camera, turned the camera back on.
it has an 'A' setting on the aperture. I was reading the 'how to's' for a manual lens and one of the things the camera should prompt me to do is set the focal length........it does not do this.
I have the SR 'on', manual mode 'on', MF on.......if I go into the menu and try to open up the shake reduction option it is 'grey' and cannot be opened..........
what am I doing wrong??

12-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

That lens is not a manual lens. You generally only set the focal length when using a manual lens. It will prompt you to do so as soon as you turn the camera on with a manual lens attached.
12-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If the lens has autofocus you don't need to set the focal length because the lens send that information to the body automaticly / digitally.
12-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's not autofocus

12-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
am quoting from a sticky here on shooting manual lenses.......

'When using any manual focus lens you need to tell the camera what the focal length is of the lens being used to get the best SR performance. To do this, simply turn the camera off, mount the lens, make sure SR is ON, turn the camera back on, and select the focal length of the lens being used on the rear LCD when prompted. You can do this after the fact using the menu system, but the fact is you should always turn the camera off when changing lenses anyway and Pentax makes this process practically automatic (assuming you have the SR turned ON when you turn the camera back on). '
12-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pasojoy Quote
am quoting from a sticky here on shooting manual lenses.......
Yes, that applies to manual focus lenses, you have an auto focus lens. The lens has a chip in it that tells the body what the focal length is, no need to input it manually.

It might be broken or you might have it in manual mode, but they never made that Sigma 70-300 as a manual focus lens to my knowledge.
12-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
Emperor and Senpai

I HAVE a copy of that lens, and I can assure you it is autofocus. To the OP: Take a picture of the lens mount and post it here for us.

Here's the review on that lens: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-70-300mm-f4-5-6-dl-macro-super.html
12-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
well heck, maybe it's broken! I will try to post pics........
sorry, they aren't very good................

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FZ10  Photo   
12-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's Not Broken, It's Autofocus!

Hello Pasojoy,
Yep, it's autofocus. You can tell by the number of contacts surrounding the bayonet mount. Try setting the M/f-A/f switch to autofocus and see what happens. Plus, you don't have to set the focal length.
Ron
12-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I guess I am totally confused now, because I thought the 'A' type lenses were just for the aperture and the 'A' FA were auto focus...oh brother I am going to have to study harder....
12-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
RBEfly, WELL, duh...............
12-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
WORKING NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much!!!.............so, question, is that the only way to tell if you have an autofocus lens or not, by the number of contacts on the mount???
12-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
Emperor and Senpai

Yes, and it also has the screw drive too! Look in the 3 o'clockish position. That's your autofocus drive.
12-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pasojoy Quote
I thought the 'A' type lenses were just for the aperture and the 'A' FA were auto focus
That nomenclature is just for Pentax brand lenses, other manufacturers will have totally different naming conventions and doesn't necessarily mean AF or not.
It is just a series name, but there are common features for each series.
Additionally Pentax made F lenses that are also auto focus, along with current FA, DFA, DA, DAL , DA* . that are all autofocus lenses as well.

On your lens you will notice a hole with what looks like a flat head screw head - that is the AF coupling for your camera to drive the AF on that lens.

Another clue that the lens will be autofocus is the mount may have two flat power contacts on the inside of the ring when AF is done via internal lens motor.

You'll get used to it, and in a short while will be throwing out M42 K M A etc designations like the rest of us with LBA (Lens Buying Addiction) whether we are in denial or not. Enjoy
12-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
I do already have LBA, lol!! I just got two today, and have not tried them out yet, but they look to be in good shape.....they came with a Pentax camera (film) that I found for sale.
The camera is a Pentax ZX7 and came with a Pentax 28-80mm (I already have one, but this one looks in better shape), and a Pentax 80-320mm. I just wanted the zoom lens....but got the 'package' for 35.00 plus 11.00 to ship to me. By the lens reviews on the zoom, I think I did OK for the money! Now all I gotta do is really learn my K10 ! It may be 'outdated' but wow, I haven't had a new camera in a long time and I think I'm in love with this one!!