Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Need help with pentax optio please

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, I need help with my camera please.
I have a pentax optio s10, I've had it for 4 and a half years with no problems. When the flash is on it usually takes bright crisp pictures, and when the flash is off not so good pictures but I'm used to that.
I was taking some pics of my son and I noticed it kept doing red eye, so I pressed the flash button (which I usually just have set to flash auto) and I changed it to flash auto + red eye which I have never used before. I carried on taking pictures and noticed that the pictures had gone really dark. So I changed it back to just flash auto but it was still taking really dark pictures :/ So I went to the set-up menu and reset the camera but it didn't fix the problem, it's still taking darker pictures that aren't that clear, even with the flash on... I don't know what's happened. I've used it with no problem for the past 4 yrs and it's always taken clear bright pictures, I don't know why this has happened just from me putting it on auto+ red eye, and then changing it back, even after the camera reset

It also seems to be putting a red light on the front (like a flickering red light then then a solid red light where the flash light is), and when I take a pic without flash on this red light is on and the photo ends up just looking really red :/ (it does not need charging, it is showing as fully green on the battery symbol)

Mostly it is the fact that it has suddenly gone darker and less clear that is stressing me out. Any help would be much appreciated, it's nearly christmas so I really need to try and fix the camera, please help if you have any ideas of what is wrong with it. Thank you

12-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Can you show some sample pictures to get a better understanding of what the camera is doing?

My first guess based on your explanation though ... I think Santa needs a new camera this Christmas ...
12-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If a reset didn't help, then it's probably a hardware problem, which means you'll need a new camera!

Among the better deals out there right now is the Canon A3400:
Canon PowerShot A3400 IS Digital Camera, Red 6186B001

You could also get the LS465 (sold only in the UK), but I wouldn't recommend it over the Canon:
Pentax Optio LS465 Digital Camera - Purple 2.7 inch: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Can you show some sample pictures to get a better understanding of what the camera is doing?

My first guess based on your explanation though ... I think Santa needs a new camera this Christmas ...

Lol. Does that mean I am santa? Haha. Erm, how would I add pictures?

12-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If a reset didn't help, then it's probably a hardware problem, which means you'll need a new camera!

Among the better deals out there right now is the Canon A3400:
Canon PowerShot A3400 IS Digital Camera, Red 6186B001

You could also get the LS465 (sold only in the UK), but I wouldn't recommend it over the Canon:
Pentax Optio LS465 Digital Camera - Purple 2.7 inch: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Well, that sucks I love my camera. I am in the UK so that is fine, lol. And thank you, I will look into the cameras
12-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by serendipity86 Quote
Click on "manage attachments" below the text box, and then select a file from your computer

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You can be whatever you want !

12-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Click on "manage attachments" below the text box, and then select a file from your computer
It won't let me. I tried to upload 3 pics, one before pic, one pic of it on auto+red eye, and one pic from after I've reset the settings, but it won't upload them. It says uploading pics but then it fails :/
12-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It won't let me. I tried to upload 3 pics, one before pic, one pic of it on auto+red eye, and one pic from after I've reset the settings, but it won't upload them. It says uploading pics but then it fails :/
Looks like Santa needs a better Internet connection too .

Try and re-size the images - make them smaller. Maybe that will work better.
12-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Looks like Santa needs a better Internet connection too .

Try and re-size the images - make them smaller. Maybe that will work better.
Argh, I can't be bothered with that, lol. They only come to 7.99mb for the 3 pics
12-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Argh, I can't be bothered with that, lol. They only come to 7.99mb for the 3 pics
Then take it as granted ... you need a new camera.
Happy shopping ! Ho, ho, ho!
12-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It should let you, try uploading just 1 at a time though because the total attachment limit is 4Mb for new users, so it might block you if it sees the 8Mb in advance. Our system will automatically scale each photo down to like 200Kb for you once it's uploaded, though, and it even reads in the EXIF

Adam

12-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It should let you, try uploading just 1 at a time though because the total attachment limit is 4Mb for new users, so it might block you if it sees the 8Mb in advance. Our system will automatically scale each photo down to like 200Kb for you once it's uploaded, though, and it even reads in the EXIF
Ok I will try the one at a time thing, thanks
12-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I think it added the first 2 but not the 3rd?
Attached Images

12-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think it added the first 2 but not the 3rd?
What happens when you cover the red light? I bet it will work fine!

Adam