Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #1

Should I make the jump...

Hello all,
10 years ago I purchased a Nikon N80 to begin my journey on becoming the next Annie Leibovitz. Well shortly after the journey began, life happened, and the Nikon set on the shelf gathering dust. Well I think I am ready to start the journey again, this time with a digital body. The past couple of days I have doing my finest internet research and have narrowed my choices down to a Nikon D7000 (I could make use of the couple of older nikon lenses I have) and either a Pentax K-5 or K-30. I really like the ruggedness of the Pentax's along with the in camera image stabilization. However I do have some concerns with Pentax... For one, I would like put my hands on the camera before I buy and is becoming a lot harder than I thought it would be. I would be more understanding if I was in smaller area, but I am in Las Vegas. Besides liking to touch stuff, I would like to support local businesses but it seems If go with Pentax that is out. Along those same lines I was noticing that a lot of the lenses seemed to be a little more more expensive and then I found out that Pentax is forcing the online retailers to sell them at MSRP which constituted a 15-90% increase over a couple of months ago. This wouldn't be so much of an issue if I had brick and mortar to haggle with. So I guess my concern is with state of Pentax.. should it be? I don't to invest in a system if Pentax is on a negative path. Are my issues valid or am I having some weird defensive reaction trying to talk myself out of spending $1000.

12-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Humbucker Quote
Hello all,
10 years ago I purchased a Nikon N80 to begin my journey on becoming the next Annie Leibovitz. Well shortly after the journey began, life happened, and the Nikon set on the shelf gathering dust. Well I think I am ready to start the journey again, this time with a digital body. The past couple of days I have doing my finest internet research and have narrowed my choices down to a Nikon D7000 (I could make use of the couple of older nikon lenses I have) and either a Pentax K-5 or K-30. I really like the ruggedness of the Pentax's along with the in camera image stabilization. However I do have some concerns with Pentax... For one, I would like put my hands on the camera before I buy and is becoming a lot harder than I thought it would be. I would be more understanding if I was in smaller area, but I am in Las Vegas. Besides liking to touch stuff, I would like to support local businesses but it seems If go with Pentax that is out. Along those same lines I was noticing that a lot of the lenses seemed to be a little more more expensive and then I found out that Pentax is forcing the online retailers to sell them at MSRP which constituted a 15-90% increase over a couple of months ago. This wouldn't be so much of an issue if I had brick and mortar to haggle with. So I guess my concern is with state of Pentax.. should it be? I don't to invest in a system if Pentax is on a negative path. Are my issues valid or am I having some weird defensive reaction trying to talk myself out of spending $1000.
While the current pricing policy is out of whack, Pentax's future certainly isn't. The recent acquisition by Ricoh is already starting to show some positive effects, and it's bound to continue that way. As long as you're willing to shop online and aren't an avid sports shooter, Pentax may the right choice for you. While we don't have a K-5 vs D7000 comparison, we have compared it to the Canon 7D, and the Pentax held its ground. The review was written by a Nikon shooter, mind you!

Canon 7D vs. Pentax K-5 - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

If you're looking for current deals on Pentax gear, check our the price watch forum or this homepage category:
Pentax Deals - PentaxForums.com Homepage Blog

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-18-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You don't buy into to-days 'consumer' camera bodies as an investment; they're out of date very quickly. Whichever DSLR camera you buy you'll probably want/need to update in a year or so and I don't see Pentax disappearing any time soon, if ever.

As to 'hands on', buy on-line from a retailer that has a good returns policy and price. If you like the camera, keep it, if not, return it.
12-18-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Did you try the retailer locator on the USA website?
Find a PENTAX Retailer

Regards,
--Anders.