Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #1

first photo dark

In the last couple of weeks, when turning the camera on and shooting, the first photo is dark, as though under exposed, all others after it are fine. I can turn the camera off and back on, and still ok, but when left for a while and then turn on and shoot, one dark frame. I always have continuous shooting switched on, and I'll take a burst of photos so I'm not loosing the shot, but its just concerning me incase something is about to go wrong with the camera...

Comparing EXIF data between first and second shots in a sequence shows no difference, and batteries are good. The same occurs with different lenses. Setting is currently on Auto, but haven't tried M, Tv or Av.

Any suggestions why it might be happening?

Thanks
Andrew

Pentax K-x, firmware 1.03, 3 yrs old

12-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera model would be interesting to know, Lang with lens and an example sequence of photos. Is , for example bracketing on?
12-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Andrew,

It could be a sticky aperture which loosens after the first shot. Check your lens to make sure the aperture operates freely.

Also, try a different lens.

Another possible problem is dirty contacts on the body or lens at the lens mount. Wipe them clean on both the lens mount and body mount with a dry cotton cloth (like a handkerchief).

-Joe-
12-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I was thinking maybe a sticking aperture in the lens, but if it acts the same with different lenses then that is out.

Best way to solve things like this is eliminate variables. So try it without burst on to eliminate that. Try it in other modes to see if it acts the same across the board. Take notes on each thing you try.

Try turning on the camera and go into preview mode or something, check the menu let the camera warm up before taking that first shot and see if that does anything different.

Is the 'dark' shot just underexposed or is it completely dark as in no information there? Might be a sensor or electronic problem.
Is it dark evenly across the image or is part of it darker than the rest? Might be a shutter curtain problem.

One thing that fits would be the aperture lever on the camera, if it is bent slightly it might not operate fully the first time. Check the lever and make sure it moves freely and is not bent.

12-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since an auto diaphragm CLOSES when the picture is taken, wouldn't a sluggish diaphragm make the first picture overexposed instead of under?
12-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
After posting, I tried it in different modes with the same result.
I have clean all contacts, aperture levers etc and made sure none are bent or damaged.
I have check bracketing which is off (never used it), and the setting is still at 0, -1, +1 if activated

Hopefully these pics work with exif data
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/34851-stray-dingo/albums/6077-dar...cture53332.jpg

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/34851-stray-dingo/albums/6077-dar...cture53333.jpg

thanks

Last edited by Stray Dingo; 12-19-2012 at 02:00 PM.
12-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I suggest that if you have another lens, try it before you go any further. You need to determine if the problem is with the lens or with the camera body, then go from there.

I'm sure this is quite frustrating for you, and hope you can find a simple and cheap or free solution!

-Joe-

QuoteOriginally posted by Stray Dingo Quote
After posting, I tried it in different modes with the same result.
I have clean all contacts, aperture levers etc and made sure none are bent or damaged.
I have check bracketing which is off (never used it), and the setting is still at 0, -1, +1 if activated

Hopefully these pics work with exif data
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/34851-stray-dingo/albums/6077-dar...cture53332.jpg

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/34851-stray-dingo/albums/6077-dar...cture53333.jpg

thanks
12-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #8

Original Poster
thanks for suggestions

Jatrax, I've continued to try a few different options as suggested;
whether burst mode is on or off makes little difference;
if I turn the power on and wait 10 seconds to take a shot, it is only slightly dark;
so I then changed the batteries - although the Energiser Lithiums were only recently installed (but before problem occurred), and no issue. Put the old ones back in and reoccured, but not as dark as before.....

K0og, thanks but as per initial post it was occurring on other lenses also, so knew it wasn't that.

My guess is insufficient power is getting to the sensor for the first shot. But if that is the case; why is the second shot in less than 1/2 a second ok, but if I leave the camera on for 10 seconds before the first shot it is still darker than the following ones. I wonder how the power is being delivered........???

But, hopefully when I call CR Kennedy tomorrow, they have received the shipment of K5 iis they've been waiting for. The the K-x can be relegated to my stand-by camera before I go away :-)
(they only ordered 20 units from Pentax to see if there was any interest from the Aust market before committing, and then couldn't any for a couple of months after selling them in nothing flat....)

thanks
Andrew

12-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stray Dingo Quote
Jatrax, I've continued to try a few different options as suggested; whether burst mode is on or off makes little difference; if I turn the power on and wait 10 seconds to take a shot, it is only slightly dark; so I then changed the batteries - although the Energiser Lithiums were only recently installed (but before problem occurred), and no issue. Put the old ones back in and reoccured, but not as dark as before.....
Well, if different batteries resolve the issue then I suspect you have your answer. The k-x has always had issues with some batteries, I suspect the power requirements for the camera are right at the edge of what double A's can provide. It is possible that the set you were using had a bad cell, or maybe not bad but just not quite up to spec. After first use it provided sufficient power to work properly. I would toss that set. Also, try to clean the battery contacts in the camera. Not likely but it doesn't hurt.

And you should make sure you have the latest firmware, I believe there were battery function improvements made through firmware updates.
And lastly, based on many, many discussions on this forum you should get a set of Eneloop batteries and a charger for the k-x. They have always worked, and I have seen literally dozens of threads with people reporting battery issues with the k-x solved by changing to Eneloops. They are bit more expensive, but I calculated the cost was covered after 3 or 4 charges.